Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It is important to create diverse learning group to build student confidence and promote a positive leanring experience.

I often use a randomizer app that will quickly create random group lists based on the parameters I set.  This lends itself to easily creating diverse groups.  I might make adjustements after the app has completed the randomized lists based on the knowledge I have of students and their learning styles and personalities.  For example, if the app has randomized two students into the same group who tend to contribute less than others, I may change one of the students to another group so that one group is not at risk for having to do too much of the work.  I appreciated the recommendations for size of groups for class discussion (6-8, which I would have thought before this would be a few too many) vs 4-5 for group projects.

WHEN CRATING GROUPS YOU SHOULD CONSIDER DIVERSITY OF THE GROUP MEMBERS 

Using groups can benefit student learning.  I need to make sure the groups are manageable and there is a fair distribution of work.  Also, I should ask for feedback from the students on how the difficulty of the assignment.

I have never taken into consideration such detailed foundations for forming successful working groups such as the number of persons in a group to support diversity of experience and strengths. Also, starting with a simple assignment so that they learn to work together in a "low risk" situation.

I have learned valuable information about group work, including limiting numbers, avoiding disrupting established groups by not reassigning group membership, establish group roles, decide on manner of grading group work, and keeping the overall value or weight of group work less than 30% of the total grade. 

Student learning groups can help ensure participation of all students. They should bre formed with first thought to diversity of backgrounds, skills, and experience. One advantage of student learning groups is that students can bounce ideas off of one another and get a reaction of rememdiation before sharing with the larger group, and that more advanced students can mentor those who are struggling.
Learning groups can be formal, such as those pre-determined for projects, or informal and organized on the spot for activities such as discussions. You should ensure the product, work allocation, and grading for group projects is structured and pre-determined.

Group learning is critical in the support of students needing further assistance.  

Having 6-8 members in a group, peer evaluations, and equal work among members can improve learning for struggling students. 

Learning groups are a great way for students to critically think and solve problems. I also enjoyed the outline of students per group and the collective groups. Letting the students grade themselves is another key point that I think will be useful in the future.

these are great points on organizing and using groups for learning 

This was a really fascinating module. I've always wanted to incorporate more group work into my curriculum, but I've had a hard time working it in organically. The steps for forming effective groups is going to help me significantly. I think my students will benefit from more group projects and enjoy learning more about their peers.

When assigning groups it is important to keep the group size to less than 8.  Also have to be mindful if the group is not working well together.  They may feel a member of the group is not providing equal input.  It is important to refocus the group instead of reassigning the group.  

Reasons for student monitoring are to help them stay on task, help keep the instructor aware of emerging issues, & helps develop rapport. Some of the positive outcomes from student monitoring that I related to & will consider are….

• Creates a positive learning setting.
  • Identifies & resolves issues fast.
  • Reinforces positive student behavior.
  • Keeps the students engaged & on task.
  • Offers more individual instruction.
  • Helps plan activities & learning units appropriateness.
  •  

Things I will try to keep in mind to help me become a better & effective monitor….

• Try to move around the classroom deliberately.
  • Keep the classroom organized so movement is easy & fluent.
  • Do a short visual survey to assure all are on task.
  • Address disruption by walking to that area, & standing there. It usually subsides.
  • Good eye contact.
  • Focus on all students.

Student learning groups should have about 6 to 8 members max. This allows for more accountability & gives an opportunity for all to have input. There are 2 types of learning groups, formal & informal. I have & will continue to use both. Informal is a per class period scenario that can change from day to day. Should have no more than 5 to 6 members. Formal learning groups are what I use in the lab more. Formal learning groups will be grouped by ability, background, mix of personalities. As well, a good diverse group with different abilities & background help engage all the students in the group. Forming these groups are critical, & will be considering the following when forming learning groups.

• I always plan the stages of the group activities.
  • I always explain how the groups will work.
  • I have & show the students what the outcome should be.
  • I will let the students meet in their groups to get acquainted, & form a bond.
  • When I use group activities, such as cabinet projects, & roof mock ups, the activity is “Group geared”, not just any work & group students together.
  • I will keep the groups together throughout the group activity.
  • I do have a clear plan of evaluation on these subjects, & will share this with students prior to the activity.

I have learned that forming groups can be effective in teaching and lecturing.  Students placed in groups can learn from each other and support each other.  Also, I learned that it is best not to allow students to form their own groups. 

I have found over time thta lab groups need to be very diverse by skill level. This helps your lower performers and slows your over achievers down a little and holds a good pace for you average student. the final out come is everyone learns.

When making groups, aim for group diversity. Making groups more diverse will aid in growth among the entire group. Diversify the groups with overachievers, and people who are struggling a bit, shy, outgoing, age differences. This will help everyone involved. 

Group learning is a great tool to allow students to interact with one another ans well as learn from each other. When csreating classroom groups the idea of incorporating the diversity of each student is valuable. 

I have learned the importance of breaking out-group participation as an essential way to help keep students engaged.

I learned that the ideal group is 6-8, I understand that i bring the students together to let them learn from each other own experiences and imput

Sign In to comment