Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

How to use different types of group settings to foster confidence and diversity.

Group learning is very important because you can mix in different types of learning coming from each student and create a balance.

I have been hesitant to add group projects or learning into my teaching because I hated them as a student.  That being said, I do think this course did well in encouraging me to rethink this.  I will say if I do groups, I will have them 6-8 students/each per this course. 

Group work can be very beneficial to a classroom, but it needs to be organized fairly and well. 

Grouping students is extremely important. This allows students to learn from one another. You can have formal or informal groups. Formal groups are teacher-driven allowing for students to be in groups that are diverse or homogeneous based on what is in involved. Group work should be rigorous, but not so rigorous that the students give up. Making sure each group member knows their role and what they are responsible for doing in the group is also important. Students can be graded as a group, individually, or self-assess.

Group projects also a best tool of learnings . Students learn how to work in a groups, build friendships and exchange views.

I typically let students pick their group for awhile until I get enough time to get to know them and their abilities then I make small changes along the way without making it obvious because sometimes students will get self-conscious when sudden change happens.

Grouping students aids in their learning of subject matter as well as learning to work together as a team .

Comment on Francisco Gonzalez's post

I assign different topics to different groups and then have them give a presentation. While the students are talking I take notes on the white board for review purposes. Also, if the group forgets important points I am able to add the information so that the entire class learns. 

Comment on Francisco Gonzalez's post: Placing students in groups helps them learn how to work on group projects that is an essential skill in the workplace. This makes each individual student responsible for their portion of the assignment and creates accountability. Students can actively learn from each other and develop their strengths.

I learned that with students, it is best to have only 6-8 members for optimal learning. It can serve as peer tutors and resources for the students. I also learned that there should not be a large weight for group assignments. It is best to have no more than 30% of total grade.

Grouping students for projects works best in most cases when the groupings are random. Floating around the classroom and monitoring students is an effective way to see how your students are doing; and both award well done work, and help those that might be struggling but not voicing concerns.

I work in a lab setting where students are doing different competencies simultaneously.  It can be very difficult to monitor everyone and give each student the time they need.  I have found that having each and every student make a written plan and check in with me about their plan of action prior to the lab starting enables me to interact with everyone much more easily.  Monitoring, moving around during class and lab gives me an opportunity to immediately correct mistakes and give positive feedback as it is occuring.

My most significant was the importance of implementing student monitoring and group teaching strategies. These implementations create support. Group learning promotes individual growth, collaboration, active learning, and inclusion. When my students complete their knife skills lab, they enter complete then first four cooking labs in teams.

It is important to have the students evaluate themselves in terms of their group involvement.

assigning students into groups sounds like a very good idea to help students to grasp lab practice.

create groups with diversity.

5-6 people in a group works best. Picking groups for the students helps them branch out and develop communication skills.

I have learned that learning groups no larger than 6 to 8 members are best to enable each person to contribute to the given group project and can serve as peer tutors in the learning process. 

Groups are great ways to learn.

Sign In to comment