Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Forming groups based on student diversity. Over time I had been forming groups just solely based on experience but it is true to include backgrounds and leadership qualities. This will change the overall dynamic of the group and be more beneficial to them. 

THIS WAS A GOOD REVIEW OF THE BLOOM'S TAXONOMY KEY TERMS. I KNEW OF THE COGNITIVE, AFFECTIVE & PSYCHOMOTOR LEVELS OF LEARNING BUT I DON'T THINK I REMEMBERED THE FOURTH ON METACOGNITIVE- KNOWLEDGE ABOUT KNOWLEDGE. I WILL HAVE TO REASEARCH THIS ONE TO GET A CLEARER UNDERSTANDING OF THIS TERM.

When forming groups it is important to have 6-8 students and create diverse goups.

Organizing student groups benefits the students.  It also gives them team building skills where they can pool their capabilities together to achieve a task.  

Creating student groups could be beneficial to both students and instructors.  It teaches students to work together and pool their strenghts to complete a task.  Its a good team building excercise.

Important points that I learned from this module is to consider student diversity on making groups for class activites. Monitoring students behavior in class is also crucial in creating a positive learning environment.

The importance of English Learning students and the challenge they face in learning new content is that they are simultaneously taking on trying to understand that subject as well as what it means in terms of their everyday new language. It can be quite the challenge.

When forming groups it is most beneficial to the students when the group is no larger than 8 people and it's diverse. 

I have let student's switch groups in the past. I can see now why this is not a good idea.

Random group selection of 5-6 students seem to work best. This will not leave students feeling left out or like they have nothing to contribute. Also be sure to set clear expectations of the individuals as well as the group as a whole. 

I have learned the importance of student monitoring. Both within the scope of the whole class, as well as each student on an individual level. I've also learned how group learning as a tactic can be helpful in integrating students and cultivating collaboration. Group assignments with a solid structure and random placement can curate an environment that nurtures and broadens education through teamwork.

I like the idea of students supporting students. With listening to what the groups have learned the Educator will have a better understanding of the students retained  from the assignment and if they need more guidance.

The importance of monitoring the class room. The connection each student can have in groups.

Tamar it is good to teach our students how to give support and encouragement to each other to keep a positive environment for learning. 

Doris R. Owens

I have learned the importance of student monitoring. Also the use of groups and ensuring that the groups are diverse and the students have the ability to work with different types of students. 

I have a better understanding of how to structure and instruct students in small group settings.  I prefer to randomly assign students to specific groups to avoid issues with selection.

A clearly defined outcome and division of labor. 

Group learning is a great way for students to break out of there comfort zone and interact with others. It helps them to develop those team skills they need in life. I am constantly monitoring my students and interacting with them to see how the group is doing and if I feel like we are ok to move forward or spend more time on things we may not understand yet.

I have learned that monitoring of students can result in creating a positive learning environment.  Monitoring can keep small problems small and prevent them from growing into large problems.

I sometimes put students in group for class work problems that are difficult. 

Sign In to comment