Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

In this module, I learned about how to communicate what my students will be learning to them in a concise manner. I found the buffet example particularly enlightening. Just like looking at all of the items on the buffet can be overwhelming, so can the amount of concepts we teach students. Practicing the pause, chunking lessons, allowing for time to have students respond, identifying the key points of the lesson, and making sure directions are clear and concise will be things I focus on in the classroom and when supporting new CTE teachers in their professional development.

Its a challange that a teacher takes when they have to teach a big group of students. Teacher must be aware of their every movements. How to speak, what position they take, what materials they use. Need to rehearse before coming the class.

Shah Rahman

Traveling around the class to keep students on their toes is key for me, but it can be a challenge if your body has to rest in between class periods. Overall, less chances for students to misbehave.

I have learned to provide more examples, move around the room more, which can be difficult when your media controls are on the podium.

Video recording and evaluating our lectures is one good technique . 

I need to use a variety of tools to maintain students attention.

Comment on Kelly Staveley's post

I think floating around the classroom is very helpful. The students pay more attention to what I am saying and if there are students not paying attention.... hiding their cell phones etc. I am able to intervene and redirect them back to the topic. 

Comment on Jeanette Roach's post: I have taught lecture once, but mostly teach clinical rotations. However, the information in this course is helpful. Walking around instead of standing in one place is a good idea. I do not fidget with any items, but could probably work on video recording lectures for identifying improvements in delivery style.

With this module, I learned that you can always record your lecture to see where your strengths and weaknesses are. You must also be mindful of your tone and voice when presenting. I also learned to use vivid images with your words and dramatize concepts when delivering a lecture. This allows students to be more engaged in learning. 

Comment on Lavonne Wilson's post

I know how you feel about these self-videos. I was afraid of the unknown about this initially. But got more comfortable as I went along.

Assigning each group member a task or contribution that links to the work of other group members is one technique to stop kids from experiencing "feelings of disparity". 

It's important to have clear and defined points. Only 3-5 per lecture to ensure retention of information by your students.

Most interesting to learn that pausing actually helps students' brain refocus and retention of new information is higher.  I teach cooking and yes, there is often an "uncomfortable pause" while waiting for the next step in a demonstration.  I try to use that time to reinforce the technique...but I am now going to incorporate more of the pause into both lecture and demonstration.  I see now how this can also help with building the critical thinking skills of students (allow them the time to formulate their own answers).

This module summarized the various communication skills needed and used in the classroom. Teachers must be flexible and willing to adapt their communication style based on the specific needs of their students and the learning objectives for each of our lessons. Combining the various styles will help create a dynamic and engaging classroom. I use many of these communication skills combinations in my classroom. I always try to use an example of my experience to show how the lesson will apply to the industry and how it will benefit the student.

1. Moving around the room keeping the students engaged.

2. Managing my tone of voice when speaking and keeping eye contact.

3. Keeping the topics that I am trying to make with the lectures to keep the students asking questions.

I learned few skills that I can use to keep my students focused.

This has been a wonderful and informative presentation, eliciting the importance of story telling and using one's own experience to share the application of analysis. I especially like the portion discussing the importance of having the students share a bit about their backgrounds when introducing themselves.

I have learned to be aware of how to keep my students engaged more by walking around the class room, and sharing with my students about stories that are relatable. 

I learned that moving around the classroom is good and using hand gestures. I do know I have some annoying tendencies when speaking like saying "um" , for example. I have to work on that. I need to use more examples as well.

It's important to be up and moving throughout the room.

Sign In to comment