Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I learned that certain behaviors can serve as distractions to students. Pace and tone along with movement can keep the learner engaged. I also learned that fidgeting can release nervous energy which is a common distractor in the classroom.

I need to be better with my eye contact. I need to speak slower.

Reply to Francisco Gonzalez's post: Hello Francisco, my name is Doris.  I am very much engaged with the students when moving around the room and making eye contact because it keeps the students engaged also.  They want to be prepared mentally because they do not know when you will stop moving and your eye contact meet the eye of someone not really paying attention. This type of action keeps other students paying attention and being alert and ready to respond when you call their name for a response to your question.

Not having the attention of the students put an instructor in an out of place position in the classroom setting. Manage the classroom on day one and you will manage the classroom throughout the module. Keeping the attention of the students with your eye contact, projecting voice, not fidgeting and floating around the classroom allows the student to engage, be motivated and on point to learn with positive reception.

Float.  Very you location in the room.  Pause a few seconds when asking a question.  Make eye contact, for 3 seconds or so.  Vary your pitch. 

I have learned that many qualities I have already been doing in class while conducting myself as an instructor.  But there are many more that I am currently not doing in class that could improve my focus to my students.

I have found that during our zoom meetings if I stare directly at the camera students tend to engage more. 

Comment on Kwinn Doran's post: I agree.

I learned several things from this course so far. Some of the main points I took were to ensure repetition so that students retain information, move around during lecture to keep their attention, and speak slowly, clearly, and precisely. 

This was an excellent review of techniques to improve my classroom presence and delivery.  I especially appreciated the use of silence and pauses during lectures and teaching to assist the students to absorb or think about the content.

Float, eye contact, clear communication, stress points, awaredness.

As a student, I have never liked being a class that is boring. Where the instructor just sits at his or her desk and reads from the text aloud. So I make it a point to make my class exciting! I'm up moving around, asking questions, engaging with the students. I want my class to be one the students want to go to.

I have learned the benefit for my students of moving around the classroom, especially during lecture.  It will help to keep their focus on what I'm teaching.  

This course had me thinking about some of the bad habits that I have incorporated into my lecturing. Specifically, I have a tendency to pace around the classroom when lecturing. I will be more conscious of this going forward. 

When reviewing complex content during a discussion, it is just as important to pay attenetion to ehat the students are NOT saying- as a way to identify topics that need further clarification.

Comment on Francisco Gonzalez's post: How would you suggest maintaining eye contact? 

I learned a lot about how to engage students and keep their attention while also being aware of my own body language and how I am presenting myself to the students.

Communication approach is very important when it comes to teaching.

This portion of the course has inspired me to move about more in the classroom.  I generally tend to stay behind the lecturn, and actually felt like I was imposing on students' space by walking up to their desks.  However, after this course, I will attempt to "float" about the classroom more to increase engagement. 

Engage your students in the room but don't use mannerisms that could be annoying or distracting.

Sign In to comment