Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have learned in this module that to have students stay on track can be related to My course presentation. Walking around keeps student attention on Me and what I'm speaking about. Eye contact gives individual attention to the student.

From this module I learned different ways to become a more effective teacher. Pausing for a few seconds after a student asks a question, floating around the room, and practicing my tone and delivery of lessons are things I will encorporate into my classroom. 

An important aspect of helping keep students engaged is by being engaging yourself. For example, move around, keep your energy up, gesture with your hands, smile, and make eye contact to make sure that you are the focus of the class, no that what you are talking about is important.

be careful not to over-do it though. Don't be nervous with your movements or gestures. Don't "pace" around the room, "float."

I have always enjoyed floating around the room. I cant stay in one place and lecture, it helps me to keep each student engaged.

Learning the various voice/talking issues that may only become apparent by video taping/recording yourself during a lecture. I cringe at the thought but it is the only way to get more objective feedback I belive.

I have videotaped myself giving a presentation and noticed the annoying things I do.

Now that I know what I do, I can work on decreasing that behavior.

I learned that floating or moving around the classroom is very effective to observe all students. It is important to also have effective hand gestures, facial expressions and voice tones to engage students into the lecture. 

I like the idea of videotaping a lecture to increase awareness of one's own lecture style and make improvements where needed.  I also appreciated the information about moving around the classroom, which is different from pacing, in that it can be used as an effective strategy to gain and maintain student interest and not a distraction.  I find that coming to class prepared improves my confidence and allows my to be more comfortable, genuine, and engaging when I interact with my students.

I.ve been doing most of what was covered for years. However this was a good refresher. The most sailient point for me was the "big pickture?location" point. I was reminded how importasnt it is to begin with a review of topics covered. 

Episodic memory is much stronger than rote memory. When students are given examples that relate to their life experiences, memory retention is much greater. The students build a memory connection between the examples and episodes in their lives, which helps them remember the needed content much better.

I learned about delivery methods in presenting new material.  To walk around the room and make eye contact with each student so they know they are important.  I also learned to minimize figeting and annoying behaivor while teaching because it is distracting.  I can always record the session so that I can assess how I am doing as an instructor and make improvements.

I need to make sure the information I am relaying builds from simple to more complex topics with a clear "roadmap" of what my goals are for the day to keep my students on track. 

i have to be able to keep students engaged.

I like the idea of creating more time and pausing in between questions thus giving more time to formulate a response. I do tend to Float, make eye contact and talk with my hands.  Gestures I feel are very important.

Maintaining students' attention is important. Using eye contact, projecting my voice, not fidgeting, and floating around the classroom are key points to remember.

Maintaining students' attention is important. Using eye contact, projecting my voice, not fidgeting, and floating around the classroom are key points to remember.

I feel I finally understand the importance of not moving too quickly through the information I want to teach; especially while teaching math. It is important to move about the room and check on how everyone is doing with their math problems before moving on to the next section. This is great information!

To me, this all comes down to engaging the student. Care enough to reach out and grab the student's attention in a variety of ways including voice inflection, eye contact, questions, movement around the classroom, gestures and body language. Above all else, projecting enthusiasm and enagement yourself as the instructor. I am so excited to be able to try all of these techniques when I start teaching in the fall. 

Smiling is so important, even if there is a frown inside.  Students are so vulnerable and anxious, especially when in the clinical setting with patients--smile:)   

Work the room, do not stand in 1 place

Delivery of instruction can make or break it. Be sure to gain attention early on and let students know wat you will be convering that day. Chunk instruction into small blocks, working from simple to complex. Move around the room to create interest and ensure that you r pitch, tone, facial expressions, and body language are those that command enough authority, while still engaging the students. Use eye contact throughout your presentations, and try to make eye contact with each student at each session.

Sign In to comment