Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I learned that maybe videotaping my lectures will help me identify strengths and weakness of my instructional methods

Never realized that fidgeting is such a distraction.

I used to play with a rubber mango while lecturing...

Never again.

Repeat, repeat, repeat! That's a great communication tool. Also, to help explain what the student means to increase confidence in communicating.

As this is my very first teaching position in an academic setting, I admit I am a little nervous. I have taught classes in the healthcare and community settings but this is a little different for me. I have a tendency to speak fast when I am nervous. I will video tape myself and see how it goes. I really learned a lot regarding various teaching methods. One thing I do have down is no more than 4-5 points at a time.

I love the idea of video tapping your lecture to access voice, gestures and delivery of the material !

The breathing suggestion was surprising! I hadn't considered a lot of voice issues were due to lack of air, but after teaching a year with a mask on, it makes a lot of sense. I have always had an issue with fidgeting, and usually keep items out of reach so I can talk with my hands instead. I think the paper is a clever and appropriate substiitute.

Need to be mindful of how we present ourselves.  We need to use eye contact, avoid fidgeting and we need to walk around the room in order to keep the students attention.  

This course was extremely helpful and informative to enable an instructor to become more skilled and sharpened for teaching their class.

I should try having my lecture video taped.

I do have some tics that need work on, it is difficult sometimes to pronouce unfamiliar words so I will try to revieew them before hand. 

I  usually ingage with a few students and there are some that get neglected. I need to move around further into different areas. 

Communication skills such as moving around the room freely. 

Video recording.  This will be challenging for me, but I need to do this!

The floating topic is very helpful.  I sometimes float the classroom.  The first time I did courageously move from my desk to the floor and  walked around the room, I immediately felt as though I was intuding on the students space.  This felt awkward to say the least.  

I learned that an effective way to get feedback on my classroom presentations is to review a videotape of myself. Great approach!!

I found that to improve my class presentations and lectures would be to videotape myself. Great approach!

i need to spend more time listening and ensuring I understand what is being conveyed before I respond. I am pretty good at eye contact and I conntinuously move around the room. Ii was never one to stay behinnd my desk. I also scan the room to see who is and isn't engaged.

I use complete silence to regain students attention. Talking louder does not work. They will just raise there volume to match yours.

Episodic memory. When students are given examples that relate to their life experiences, memory retention is much greater. The students build a memory connection between the examples and episodes in their lives and can help them remember the content. Tell story, listen to stories, create the connection.

This module provided information with how to effectively prepare students for upcoming course content. Providing pupils with an outline of the lecture can be sextremely beneficial as ist prepares them for discussion and learning as well as allow them the opportunity to independently research upcoming topics. 

Sign In to comment