Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Assessing the student ability to learn is the first and most important step. Using the CAT method, you can track the student ability to take in information, comprehend, and then test them on it.

General Educations Assessment is a huge  highlight for my CTE class. The FIRST domain we go over is workplace skills where students have to answer questions and solve problems that deal with critical thinking and writing. Most jobs today aren't filled because of the lack of training in these areas so it does us instructors no good to commit all this time to technical skills and our students still not get the job because they can't write, communicate, or have basic problem solving skills.

As an instructor it is important to gain an understanding of your students’ background knowledge. 

The group assessment techniques and use of CAT to evaluate understanding and content presentation were most helpful. 

This module describes different types of assessment of the content that has been taught. When designing an assessment you want to make sure that it is measuring the knowledge that you want the students to learn by being valid to your course objectives.

I enjoy both formal and informal methods of assessment.  Informal assessments more so, because it allows for dialogue in depth about the topic at hand.  You can really gauge someone's understanding better by asking questions but also hearing what questions they have.

Getting the students involved actively in class discussions helps in their learning.

I have always found that critical thinking is the hallmark of a wise and educated person.

Group Process Technique by Charles Walker.. Group work.

Comment on John Dailey's post: Ethics is important in every profession. Students come with a knowledge base of what is considered wrong and right. The instuctor can help the student recognize ethical decisions within a professional setting. Providing examples of ethics in the work place is a good idea.

In this session, valuable methods for evaluating students were discussed. I learned that first assess if students have grasped key concepts independently, highlighting the importance of self-preparation. Second, observing subsequent classes can help see if the students can apply past learnings without guidance. Third, it is important to gauge engagement, emphasizing not just enthusiasm but also deep concentration and active participation.

Additionally, I intent to use CATs and exams to evaluate the students' ability to apply knowledge and problem-solving skills. These insights will guide my teaching approach. I intend to encourage students to take responsibility for their learning, create an environment where they can apply previous knowledge, and foster engagement in various forms. Finally, using exams as an assessment tool will need planning and deep consideration of structure, ensuring the exams are measuring the students' understanding beyond the immediate classroom knowledge and into the other stages of Bloom's taxonomy.

Information retention isn't always immediately apparent with the use of CATs and other evaluation methods you can help see what areas and level of understanding your students possess. Which helps you to further tailor the learning experience and give opportunities to develop the habit of advanced thought through application assessments by testing their knowledge via performance.

I've found doing assessments a bit tricky, but understand the value. A good section on ethics which can sometimes be overlooked in class.

I was interested in the different levels of learning. My goal is to add more active learning and problem solving learning in the classroom. 

Different tests should be used at different times in the class

An instructor must be stimulating to activate the student learning process.  

In this module I learned about the various stages of Bloom's taxonomy and what levels students need to be at. I also learned of the different CAT's that can help provide further learning alternatives to students. 

Giving CATs to students, or giving them the chance to write unanswered questions from the day, will help me to understand their learning point from the lecture. This information can be used to adjust my coursework going forward.

I like the Bloom's Taxonomy to help me gauge if I am being effective in my teaching strategies.  

Active learning as well as group assessments can help the student grow to their potential. I will implement the ideals learned by paying more attention to general education levels of students to help bridge the testing gap. I will also design test questions that directly reflect the content standards for that unit. 

Sign In to comment