Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I need to reflect regularly about my teaching style and how to reach my students, and know that it's okay to make an instructional mistake occasional to let my students know that I'm human too.

Based on my two and a half years of teaching experience, I could not be more in agreement with the observations and aspects remarked during this module "Preparing youself for the classroom".

From all of them, I would specifically remark how important it is "the appropriate preparation of the classes". From different perspectives (students, methodology, support materials, classroom setting...etc). I regullarly  try to set up a Primary, Alternate, Contingency and Emergency plan in regards to these different aspects, in order to be fully prepared to deliver my classes and achieving the learning objectives.

If we're not organized and prepared, it's hypocritical to expect those qualities from students. We lead by example.

Preparation involves more than reading content the day before delivering it.  It involves analyzing yourself and comparing your strengths and weaknesses to those of your students so you can improve the impact you have on them and their learning experience.

I learned how beneficial using observation sheets for field trips would be for the students . Also, understanding your personality and how it impacts the classroom made me take time to look at myself and think how the students see me.

Be able to admit mistakes. use humor to admit mistakes

teaching is about constant changes

write down a review of my lectures after class

Know what the students are like. Walk around the school

Stay updated on career subject matter

Learn about my colleagues

Preparing for my classroom is the best practice, hands down. Its so relaxing watching the day unfold. 

I have learned that there are many different types of instructional styles and can now put a name to my style of teaching. I also thought back and have placed instructors throughout my career within this classification system. I now realize that I have taken something different from each one and feel there is no wrong or right way to convey instruction...the goal is to be effective in what ever method you select.

Reply to Adrianna Olch's post: I too found myself reflecting on my own teaching style and it's effectiveness.

Being prepared with all materials and assignments provides a sense of organization and instills confidence in students.

Field trips  can be fun and also  educational but it is a good idea to have an observation sheet so the stdnets can pay attention to details.

Being prepared and motivated when coming into a classroom setting will help drastically setting up for success. 

Being motivated and prepared will help drastically 

I liked the suggestion about preparing guest speakers with focus questions to ensure that the learning experience aligns with your objectives. I have had students write the questions before, and I have even had them do the outreach and communication with guest speakers ahead of time. That has been a useful approach to student engagement. 

Knowing the type of instructor I want to be vs the instructor I am will help me perfect my craft and find my niche. Always be prepared and organized for your class. Stay personable, build rapport with my class and admit when I am wrong then move on. Stay ready for change and understand the reason why I chose to become an instructor in the first place. 

Learning to some techniques on how to see myself as the type of teacher I want to be to my students.  My teaching style and ways to keep students engaged. 

I like the idea of taking notes about my lecture after the class is over. Both, the positive and the negative and learn from both. 

Have materials prepared ahead of time and ready for immediate use.

I have learned how to keep the students ingaged in the topic I am teaching. Also that all teachers , present class in a different way. Observing othert teachers is a key way to learn what kind of teacher I am. Where I need to inprove.

Reflection is the key to successful growth.

Sign In to comment