Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Positive attitudes need to start from the top

I believe that the idea of negative attitudes is critical in determining the success of a school. It cannot be stated enough how the staff thinks and acts impacts the students and the entire atmosphere. Administrators should recognize how important it is to build a positive cohesive work environment. If we are positive towards each other, it will help everyone create an environment in which students want to be part of. Just as we want to be encouraging to students, administrators should be encouraging and positive towards their employees. When one feels appreciated, respected and valued, it makes a tremendous difference in the quality of service they provide.

I just read a great book about this and then shared it with a fellow manager. The book is All In: How the Best Managers Create a Culture of Belief and Drive Big Results, by Adrian Gostick. When I worked in Human Resources, I had read an article entitled, The Boss Makes the Weather. Just remembering the title reminds me that, as a manager, I need to pay attention to the culture that I am creating for individual employees and the team.

This is a true fact! I work at a school where the director gives their all, lives here, and puts forth so much effort.... but doesn't lead. Every department gets away with negative attitudes and sabotage. It's sad to see someone with such compassion and drive be unsuccessful at putting a team together for the common goal.

Elizabeth,

This creates a very difficult work situation. You can lead your folks and perhaps influence other leaders on campus.

Jeffrey Schillinger

this is true and it does start at the top the leaders need to lead by example

Note everyone is a leader. Most people are not leaders. Oftimes workaholism will masquerade as leadership, but it is not because no one is inspired by the example. Compassion and the willingness to "roll up your sleeves" with your underlings are the foundations of true leadership in any workplace. People can feel the difference.

Sign In to comment