Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Attention=Retention

I really like the idea of the study the Florida College conducted. It is a really big deal at our schools that it is everyone's job to help with retention but we are always discussing the students who are off track and not the students who are on track. This tends to have negative effects when the students who are on track disappear. I really like the idea of having a group of students for each staff member to go find and talk to, this hits the student body as a whole and gives every student the attention they should have.

Melissa,

We used a similar process with our "at-risk" students (reentries, repeaters, low GPA, high absenteeism, etc.), except that we did it with administrators. Each of us wereresponsible for keeping tabs on and regularly talking to five to ten students each term. We reported on them at bi-weekly meetings.

Jeffrey Schillinger

This is an excellent idea. We have an at-risk meeting weekly to track and plan follow up for at-risk students. It can be a bit overwhelming. I like the idea of assigning a few students to different administrators to act as a mentor.
Thanks!

We have an email that gets send daily about at risk student to all the staff to reach out to them.

We do a combined approach of using Student services and PD's for our Re-enter's, Student Services for high absenteeism and low GPA'ers, faculty with repeaters. A lot of eyes and hands on. But so much of this starts at Day on, and being sure the students know exactly what is expected, and they have the right fit in their program of studies.

Sign In to comment