Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Be the person that you would want to come talk to.

I wish I had some one like me to talk to.

Trina,

Where would you send a student who said the same thing to you?

Jeffrey Schillinger

That is how I approach every conversation that I have with a student. I think about how I would want someone to help advise me when it comes to making sure I am on track with progression of my program. Once you can find a way to related to the students needs, it is easier to be able to develop them into successful graduates.

Fatina,

Thank you for this post. Most of us were taught to follow the "golden rule" to treat others like we want to be treated. I was advised a while back that we should apply the "platinum rule," to treat others like they want and need to be treated rather than how we would want to be treated.

Jeffrey Schillinger

I also was taught the "golden rule" to treat others in the same way that you would want to be treated, and continue to use that guiding principle. However, I do like the advise you were given of treating others how they want and need to be treated. Often times, students need to feel supported and want to think that they matter. They also need to have someone believe in them even when they don't think they have the capability to accomplish great things and succeed in their program.

Marcia

Sign In to comment