Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Outside Resources

Outside Resources
I use other technology outside of that provided by the university. To have some fun in the classroom, I subscribe to www.animationfactory.com – I get cool animated gifs and great powerpoint backgrounds. As silly as this may sound, students comment on the FUN graphics and how it makes everything come to life and seem more interesting. Every session a few students email me weekly and say that they look forward to seeing what crazy graphic will be used on an email or a posting. Anything that can make a student look forward to information about an assignment is a GOOD thing!
I also use BlueMountain Cards http://www.bluemountain.com/index.pd. I send out a welcome greeting using the cards and students send back the cutest messages…here is connection #1. At the end of W4, I send out inspirational emails…the responses I get in return often evoke tears, and finally the end of class grades are delivered via Blue Mountain.

Sabrina,

What a great idea! You are are creating your online persona much like we do in f2f. It can be done. Your evidence of connection is in the responses you received. I believe humor and learning can go together. Nice!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sabrina,

You have some awesome ideas...I'm going to check out the animation factory.

Do you have an issue with student privacy when using bluemountain?

Regards,
Karissa Dahlke

It's amazing how seemingly "little things" can make a big difference to students. Setting yourself apart from the norm can really go a long way in keeping their attention. We should all aspire to take at least one small step to try to set ourselves apart from what's considered standard or normal!

Hi Sabrina: That's awesome. I appreciate your including the links because I'm going to try them myself!

Nicholas ,

That is so true. How can you be different yet be consistent? That is our challenge regarding online educators!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Dr. Vicki,

That is why I like working with online educators. They are always so willing to share and make the rest of us look good!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Interesting; the LMS that we use filters most of the animation. I would have to become a coder to add animation.

I think it is great to add a "personal touch" to the announcements..changing colors and fonts and gifs sometimes make a world of a difference..You also find out who is really reading the content.
Another resource available is brainyquotes..

Lilia,

How frustrating! Can you create them then create a link such as an URL?
Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Bernadette,

Someone else shared brainyquotes. What a great idea. It also reminds students that you are engaged in their work.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sabrina, Yes, the sheer number of resources out there that instructors can bring to bear on issues in the classroom can be a bit overwhelming at times.

Technology is a wonderful thing and I sometimes wonder if the entertainment aspect of technology, especially in the online environment, might be a sign that the message isn't as important as they way it is delivered.

In other words, will our students rememember the illustration, but not retain the lesson?

Joe Skeens

Joseph,

That is the instructor's responsibility to "connect the dots" for students and guide them through the material including technology. You want to make sure the technology has a purpose and isn't considered buy work by the students.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I sued to sue quotes in my classes, I have stopped doing so recently , no good reason really.

James,

What resources do you use from the outside to enhance the learning. Also, I assume you mean "use" instead of "sue".

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment