Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Rubrics

Do you think it really is beneficial to involve the students in the creation of the rubrics?

Roshawna,

I do. I typically give them the first few rubrics.and then we work on the big project rubric together. They have more buy in and understanding of the project. It works for me.

I believe allowing students to be part of the rubric development process builds classroom community and removes angst students may have about prior experiences and further engages an atmosphere of guidance for good classroom management.

James ,

I agree. I typically give them rubrics for the first few assignments so they get used to being assessed with them and then get their input on the development of a big assignment/project rubric. It is helpful. Thanks.

Hi There:

An "old" professor of mine told me many years ago "people tend to support what they help create." I have used this as a mantra when developing almost everything I have done that lends itself to outside input. When students are part of the actual architecture of the rubric it enhances their understanding of the dynamics of the assignment. It also gives them a chance to "see it from another viewpoint."

Carla,

Awesome quote. I'm a true believer as well. Thanks for sharing that with us.

Nice job.

I like this concept, I'm going to try it in my next class to help students better understand the requirements / standards for the assignment. I suspect they may be harder on themselves in developing the rubric than I tend to be.

Albert,

Good point. I do think when we involve students they do tend to be more specific than we may be and we have to find that balance. Thanks for your input.

That's fantastic! If they create it, they may also understand the HOW they are being graded.

Rita,

Yes, that's the key. When students understand the expectations and how they are going to be evaluated, they have less questions about grades and can move closer to the learning objectives. Thanks!

I do think the benefits far outweigh the time it would take to do so. HOWEVER. We all fight the clock. As I've gone through this course, I'm often caught in the middle of two feelings: a sense of empowerment and the expectation of helping my students improve as well as me improving as an instructor .....and a complete sense of being overwhelmed because I know I'm not the only one with: two or three jobs, kids, obligations outside of work, a family, other interests...(a life?!!)

So I've been trying to look at the practical aspects of this process. Time is a valued commodity and often of very short supply. Or so it seems...

I truly believe that teaching students to teach themselves is probably the most valuable tool we could impart to them. It's that old addage: Give a man a fish and you give him food for the day, teach him to fish and you've fed him for his lifetime. Knowing HOW to learn is (in my mind) one of the most valuable tools to give a student.

So how do we take this time needed because it may be time worthly, but it's also time consuming. I've been looking at my calendar for next semester and wonder can I take two classes...where we normally review syllabi, go over "stuff" ...and spend quality time creating rubrics? I think we can...we just need to be very intentional and deliberate about it.

Cutting away a certain amount of time, being well prepared, taking time to explain the process, practice the process before taking it to "live" and working together through this process would probably teach so much more than how to make a rubric. We all are thinking about thinking, thinking about how we each learn, considering how others learn, thinking about cultural difference, seeing how others may perceive a statement versus our own perception...all of which haven't yet addressed the objectives of the project they are creating a rubric for. They will begin a project/activity totally aware and senstive to "expert" work. We are almost instantly motivated toward MASTER when we are clear how to attain it!

All in all, I think it's time well spent.
(sorry this is a bit long)

Carol,

Rubrics, revisions to the course and many other things do take time. However, rubrics also save time. You bring up some very good points. We have to continue to learn to move toward becoming a master teacher. Don't worry about your long posts. They bring a wealth of information to others. I appreciate your thoughts. Take care.

I had a lot of success when I involved the students in the creation of a rubric. The students had a group project due that included an oral presentation. The anxiety of the oral presentation seemed to be lifted when the students were deciding upon the grading system. They felt empowered and felt that they could handle the expectations that they were coming up with (of course with my guidance!). It was a great experience!

Maria,

Yeah - a success story. Thanks for sharing your experience and shedding some positive light on the subject. It's great to involve students and help them feel that empowerment. Nice job.

I could see it working for discussion board assignments. Let the students decide what constitutes a meaningful message.

Pat,

Good point. The students know what they consider a good post and a "not-so-good" post. Their involvement would be beneficial. Thanks!

I think the students should be involved in determining what is acceptable and not acceptable in a discussion board setting or even when considering paper length and content.

I am hesitant for them to be directly involved in the writing of the rubric, but think it is more beneficial for them to be a part of the testing process.

Joseph,

OK- sounds like you have thought this through. We are all different when it comes to evaluating students, but I find involving them later in the course in helping develop rubrics (after they have utilized other rubrics within the course) beneficial. Thanks!

I think it would be helpful to get them engaged in the process and aware of what the expectations are for certain grades. Otherwise, I suspect many students don't read the rubric in advance of doing the assignment.

Dania,

Some students don't look at the rubric until after they get feedback. This is to their detriment. Many times I have them self-assess, using the rubric, and turn that rubric in before I give them feedback. That way they have to look at it. ;-)

Sign In to comment