Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Basic Parts of a Rubric

As described by D. Stevens (2005)

Five Basic Parts of a Rubric

Part 1: Course Learning Outcome
We have added this as a rubric component (to the basic four outlined in Introduction to Rubrics).
Course learning outcomes are your expectations for what you want students to learn by the end of a
course. Your assignments and other curricular activities should help students achieve these outcomes
and the rubric is an effective way of assessing the levels of their achievement. Placing the course
learning outcome at the top of the grading rubric gives relevance to the assignment.

Part 2: Task Description
The task is almost always some type of “performance” by the student. The task can take on a multitude
of forms such as a paper, specific assignment, poster, or presentation. It can also focus on other skill
sets such as participation or use of proper lab protocols. The task description fits well just below the
course learning outcome and serves to remind us later on, like during grading, what the assignment was
or how it was written.

Part 3: Scale
The scale portion of the rubric shows how poorly or highly the task was executed. Terms used for
scaling should be tactful but clear. Scale terms are placed in the top row of the rubric.
Examples of terms:
• Excellent, satisfactory, unsatisfactory
• Exemplary, proficient, marginal, unacceptable
• Distinguished, proficient, intermediate, novice
• Advanced, developing, beginning

Part 4: Dimensions
The dimensions are a way of showing the different components of the task simply and completely.
Dimensions of a rubric help clarify, to students, what aspects are relevant or important to successfully
complete the task (such as grammar, analysis, factual content, research techniques). Dimensions can be
weighted differently to stress the importance of each component. The dimensions comprise the first
column of the rubric.

Part 5: Description of the Dimensions
Descriptions of dimensions help show where a student failed to reach the highest expectation of a given
task. Dimensions with only one description, the highest level of performance, are referred to as scoring
guide rubrics. They allow greater flexibility and more personalization but they also expand the amount
of time needed to grade. The most common number of dimension descriptions is three. The more
descriptions, the harder it becomes to grade. Once a dimension has exceeded five descriptions, the
ability to grade becomes very difficult; there are only so many differentiations a dimension can have
before they become repetitive. The rubric matrix is filled in with the dimension descriptions.

Michael,

WOW - excellent information. Thanks for the detail and also the reference so that others can find more information if they so desire. Thanks again.

Great post here. This is great information to have as one begins to develop rubrics. Being able to look at this as a general idea of what will be needed and why can help in creating rubrics. I have been building rubrics for some time and after I read this I had to copy it and put it in my rubric folder as reference.

Matthew,

Glad the information was helpful to you. I like the idea that you are keeping reference folders. Nice job.

Sign In to comment