Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Grading

Do you think it is best to have the mean grade percentage of exams available for view to the entire class so that they can see what the overall grade was for everyone on an assignment?

Shrese,

I think it is fine if the understand what the mean grade is. You will want to explain why you are doing and what it means. I don't think you can take that for granted.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I have occasionally disclosed how many students earned high grades or how many did not. I often use the feature of a quiz in a different learning platform that lets the students see how many students got an answer right or wrong. I use that feature as we review the quiz so that they can see, along with me, if it looks like a question was a particular problem - either because I did not cover the concept well or if it was simply a poorly worded question. I think disclosing a mean grade would be OK, if the student's understood what it meant. However, I don't think I would choose to disclose it. If the grades were really low the students might see it as an excuse for their low grade. I believe that grades are individual.

Catherine,

You have great points. I think a mean grade is fine and most LMS's have the ability to do that again if the student knows what it means.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Unfortunately in my classes the mean grade is often skewed by the students who are not participating in the course but did not drop the class in time.

Ryan,

That is true and we will see more of that with the new rules of student financial aid. Students will stay to the bitter end.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I talk to my students about mean grade and median grade and how to calculate it. It helps so they understand that their grade is not arbitrary. It has to be backed up by data despite the fact that I teach in the arts.

I agree with that. It is also a reflection on how poorly or how well we are doing as instructors. If the mean grade is a D, there is something wrong with how we taught the class at the same time it could give people the impression that they can continue to put in minimal effort if everyone is getting a poor grade.

It is interesting the talk on financial aid and grades. I happen to agree that aid should be linked to student effort and motivation. At the same time if a student is struggling though, it is up to the Professor to start a conversation to help them before it gets too late. What do you guys think?

Dawn,

That is a good strategy. It shows their grade in relationship to others. (and you are teaching math in the arts. That's crazy :))

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Dawn,

I do use the mean and median as analytics to determine learning by students. I also look at weaknesses in the assessment. Did I ask a question wrong. Many LMS's will give you that information.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Dawn,

Do we have weeks? :) I work with first semester students and they don't seem to understand the impact grades have; they wait then ask for extra credit (extra?) and/or what they can do to change it. Trying to have the conversations about this is frustrating until they realize they are in a hole they can't get out.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Yes, I can relate. I teach first semester Freshmen as well as upper division Bachelors students. It is amazing the difference in maturity between those two groups. I am not sure what the answer is, I am a fairly new educator and struggle with helping students understand the impact of grades. One thing I always stress is that a poor grade means poor work, a poor portfolio which translates into smaller chance of employment.

I think it may be beneficial to have mean grade percentages available for students at key points during the course, but not the final.

I think it is helpful to see how student stack up against each other but should not be the overall driver for the course.I think education is a personal experience, and folks should be expected to grow at their own pace.

Dawn,

I agree with you. I teach the same type of students. I am trying to stop calling it grading but evaluating and I give students feedback. I am hoping to change the culture of "grading".

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Margaret,

I agree with you, there is value in letting students know how they compare to others particularly when they don't speak to the other students in the class.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I believe that from my position, each student's grade their business. If they choose to share it with others in the class...and the majority do....then that's their decision. At my school, years ago, I believe it was final grades that were posted for all to see. Anyway, we felt it shamed the students who didn't do well, and we stopped the practice.

Robert,

I would NEVER post grades of students so everyone will see. I do think there is value of posting median grade of the group.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Yes, group feedback always starts a discussion based on knowledge vs fear.

Raymond,

I don't quite know what this means. Why would fear be involved?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment