Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Diagnostic assessment

I don't think we do enough of this. Pre-tests are important so that instructors can appropriately individualize instruction.

Sarah,

True, it would help us target learning better. There are really good tools to perform these pretests either in or outside the LMS.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Yes pre test are important. I think if pre test were offered, it would allow the students to understand what to expect on the test and I am sure it would lower majority of the students anxiety.

Donielle,

Here is a tool that may help with diagnostic assessment that was shared by someone in another course. http://www.webwinder.com/quiz/index.php. Look at it and see if you could use it.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

This is important provided there is a process in place to deal with the outcomes. For example, if you give a pre-test in a college algebra class to gauge readiness for the class and you have nothing to offer students who "fail" it, what was the point?
Institutionalization of procedures to assist students who are not ready for a course is vital, whether it be the creation of a pre-req course, or a viable tutoring program. In an online environment a good diagnostic assessment would be of the student's ability to succeed in an online environment.

Martin,

This is true. You have to be ready to act on the results of the assessment. There has to be a better purpose than to predict failure. We need to use if for differentiation.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Hi Dr. Wilkinson,

Diagnostic assessments are a wonderful tool to gauge student knowledge. I think it is important that we find out where the student’s knowledge falls at the start of a module so we can alter our teaching strategy at the beginning of the course. We (instructor) might have to take an extra day to explain specific subject content and perhaps they can pick up the pace in the middle of the week.

Kimberly,

Great post. We the great technology we have we can create learning activities that can help the student be successful in a course that may have been a problem due to a gap of skills or content.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment