Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Generators

What are your thoughts of the rubric generator?

Roshawna,

If they work for you great but I find I typically need to edit th to fit my needs. I do get ideas from the rubric generators when it comes to criteria and categories.

Thanks!

I think they give you a good base to start, as long as you take the time to adapt them to your course. They also may give you ideas that you had not previously considered and they will hopefully save time if you can use some of the information to your benefit.

MeriAnn,

Right - a good base. I get ideas from the generators on criteria and varying categories, but it is important to make them your own and make sure they are helping you assess specifically what you need to measure. Thanks!

I see the use of a rubric generator an excellent tool to assist in building a rubric. It provides the foundation and offer suggestions on producing an excellent product.

James,

Yes, it provides a great foundation, but make sure to edit the criteria to meet your needs for the specific assignments/projects you are assigning. Thanks!

I think that the rubric generators are pretty neat. In most cases you truly have to edit them to make sure that it has all descriptors and objectives that you feel is require. It is a good starting point in creating a rubric for your course.

Lakithia,

Agreed! You do have to tweak them to make sure they meet your needs and the needs of your students and the assignments. Thanks!

I think that rubric generators can be a good tool; however, we have to make sure that it is applicable to our classroom and assignments. I have googled rubrics before, to get ideas. I have found that the rubrics found on google are more generalized or generic. This can be harmful if not specifically tailor to our performance objectives and expectations.

Amy,

I use rubric generators to start the development of my rubrics, but then I tweak them to make sure the wording is correct in the criteria and add the learning objectives. Thanks!

Roshanwna,
A Rubrics Generator will provide a basic template that you could build upon. Therefore you can spend less time on formatting and more time on the content. Also it may include areas for consideration that you may have not thought of.

William and Roshanwna,

That's exactly why I use rubric generators. Many times I think I have included everything that needs to be in a rubric and work through a rubric generator and then - boom - there is something right in front of me that I should have thought of. Thanks!

I completely agree with this practice. It is what I do as well. I hardly ever want to "reinvent the wheel" when creating a rubric. However, I often find that the generated rubrics don't fit my needs perfectly, and require many revisions.

Melissa,

I agree. I may use the Internet to find rubrics, but I almost always have to tweak some how. However, I do find that many times the "found" rubric has some category or criteria that I never thought about, but works well. Thanks!

A template would be helpful for a lot of courses. It's hard to pinpoint all the best criteria unless you've taught the course a bunch of times.

Pat,

Agreed. Templates can help instructors start there course from a higher level than the "basic" level and help them move their course to an even more higher level more quickly. Thanks!

That's a good way to look at it- as a starting place to make sure all bases are covered. It seems like all rubrics, regardless of how they are generated, will require some customization at the end of the day.

Dania,

I agree. All of our courses are different and we have different learning outcomes, so we must customize to meet those objectives. Thanks!

I have never used one, truthfully I did not know they existed. However I think having a template or an example to follow could be really helpful.
Janis

Janis,

Well, we are all learning new things in this course. Hope you find them useful.

Sign In to comment