Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Using Track Changes in Word

I was thinking that this particular tool would be quite effective in providing feedback on Individual Projects but I'm really uncertain as to how this should be set up. It's seems to me that it's better than the tool that has been provided as part of the"turn it in" program. Has anyone tried using this? I don't know that it's practical to have each student submit a draft ahead of time - this would be awfully time consuming for both students and instructor.

Edward,

I do use track changes but I use the comments section. If I go in and change things the students hit accept and I have done the work for them. With the comments, I will highlight the problem area then pose a question that focuses on the problem. They have to identify the solution to the problem.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Dr. Wilkinson, your description of using the "comments" feature of the WORD document review tool is exactly how we in my organization use it as well.

That said, in relation to Edward's point, I do find it very time consuming. But, I accept that as my lot in life as an educator. Good feedback x whatever number of students = significant time consumption.

The Track Changes feature works pretty well but it has the disadvantage of putting the document into Review mode, which can be confusing to students who are less computer-savvy or less familiar with Word.

One thing I've used in the past is exporting to PDF and then using PDF comments to give feedback. This is easy for students to understand, though it can be a bit tricky to setup depending on what version of Adobe you're using.

The Track Changes feature works pretty well but it has the disadvantage of putting the document into Review mode, which can be confusing to students who are less computer-savvy or less familiar with Word.

One thing I've used in the past is exporting to PDF and then using PDF comments to give feedback. This is easy for students to understand, though it can be a bit tricky to setup depending on what version of Adobe you're using.

I have used Track Changes as part of my feedback on graded assignments. That way they'll be able to see the changes made so they can improve future assignments. The only drawback is that not all students use Microsoft Word, even though it is required for the course; those students won't be able to see Track Changes or comments.

Brandon,

LOVE YOUR EQUATION! If I see students making the same mistake over and over I will create a video to address it but it only alleviates the amount of time for feed by a little. Some content does take more time for feedback than others.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Pat,

Great idea! That would work. I have also record me grading a paper using Jing. I highlight lines and talk through it.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

cindi ,

Isn't that so frustrating. We put requirements in a course to ensure success of the student and that is ignored then they want me to fix it. (Sorry, items like this drive me crazy)

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I think that is an excellent point. Our ability to use track changes depends on the level or type of student that we are working with. Entry level students may not have the technology skills or comfort level with MS word to use or understand track changes. I think track changes is a powerful tool when used with students who can manage and understand the technology.

Douglas,

I agree, we have to prompt students in think about the changes we suggest rather than making the changes. I really like using track changes as a prompter.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment