Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Applying alternative and authentic assessments to accounting courses

I've taught accounting courses for a few years. There has been some consistency in the assessments. How would I find examples of alternative and authentic assessments used in accounting courses?

Rahn,

I would start first with the publisher of your book. The my have some options in an online format already available. The next place I would check would be with fellow accounting profs. Many will share their ideas.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

One way that the alternative assessment could be used is to assign a case study. The case study could be assigning a situation to students, and asking for an essay that explains how would the students apply the principles they are learning and evaluate how they performed in comparison to others. Would that work in accounting classes?

We have used case studies that build on each other from assignment to assignment.

Sabahudin,

I think it is so beneficial for an accounting class. It applies that important knowledge and skill to a real world problem. We actually teach "stuff" you will use!!!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Lilia,

I that that is great! You want them to carry their previous knowledge and add to it other learned knowledge. Constructivism at its finest!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment