Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Rubrics

Do you think the rubric setup is more beneficial for the student or the instructor?

Roshawna,

Both. That is the great thing about rubrics.

I feel the rubric is integral if not critical for students when we are now finding critical thinking at a premium. It helps clarify expectations and accountability so the student is hopefully more aware of the engagement necessary to create a product which meets instructor expectation and student learning and also creates a forward looking mentality of emergence for the students future work.

James ,

And, it's critical for instructors as well. We all want to be working toward fair assessment and help students achieve the learning outcomes. Nice job.

I think it can benefit both.Students have concrete objectives and instructors have definite goals stated for evaluation at the end of a session or an assignment.

Harry,

Yes, they help both the students and instructors. The objectives should also be listed on the rubric so students know what they are working toward as well. Thanks!

It gives the student direction on performance.
Its gives the instructor a path to check the work

Tim,

Thanks for your comments. I'm glad you mentioned that rubrics help both students and the instructors.

Nice job.

I think the rubric step up is more benefical to the instructor. I ca help with reguating grading and it sets a clear expectation of the students. If the student does not comply then they should not be shocked by the outcome.

LSingleton

LaShanta ,

But, they are extremely helpful to the students as well. Rubrics help them understand the expectations and how to earn a high grade. You should also connect the learning objectives to the rubric to help the student understand why they are doing what they are doing. Thanks!

At present, we also use the rubric results in our fact book to demonstrate what is learned - this allows our courses to be evaluated by future students.

Faith ,

Tell us more about your "fact book." That would be interesting to learn about. Thanks for sharing.

I think they are a big help for both instructor and student. I feel the student gains by becoming an active participant in their learning experience and thereby accepts responsibility for their academic or skill set performance. Likewise, the instructor becomes an more informed participant in the students progress as they try to achieve the class expectations. This information is critical to the instructor as it lets them assess the areas the student may be struggling with and take measures to support their learning and interact with the student.
Ava T.

Ava,

You are so right - they help both the students and the instructor. We all benefit and learn from the rubrics.

Thanks!

I think that rubrics add value to the instructor and the student’s experiences. For the student, it is great because it allows students to know what is required of them. They can also see how much each section of the assignments is worth and gives them a visual on which section they were strong or weak. For the instructor, it allows for easy and consistent grading with every student and over time.

Lakithia,

Right! When the students understand the expectations better, they have a better chance to reach the learning outcomes. Nice job.

Rubric set-up is helpful for both student and teacher. Keeps everyone on task.

Val,

Yes, rubrics help both the students and the instructors. When we all understand the expectations and stay on task, students can achieve the learning objectives better. Thanks!

Both. The rubric gives the student a contract for the assignment. Do these things and you will get X. Those guardrails protect them from bad teachers or a subjective grading process. The rubric protects the teacher from aggressive or entitled students who try to manipulate the grade or who just don't follow rules. The student accepts the rubric and has to follow the criteria upfront which gives them little leverage to work with if trying to alter the outcomes.

Nathan,

Most people think of the syllabus as the contract, but the rubric can provide great detail about expectations for an assignment/project. Thanks!

Sign In to comment