Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

e-portfolios

I have used these for several years. I think we should start early in a student's career asking him/her to select the best work from each course to become part of a portfolio that will demonstrate growth, as well as skills the individual has mastered. An e-portfolio can go on a student's Web page or on a disc to be shared on interviews.

Sarah,

I agree with yo. Students need to determine their best work to show. Not everything is "best". I was also told of a place called Padlet that will let students to post to a wall and make it public.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

While not exactly an e-portfolio. LinkedIn has an area for posting your current or past projects. Depending on your public profile configuration, prospective employers can view examples of your projects.

The benefit of this is they most likely already have an account on LinkedIn.

Aaron,

I would also look at padlet.com. It provides a "wall" like pinterest that students can post information. As a professional, LilnkedIn is really being pushed to our students.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

What a delight to see this topic posted! My school recently underwent an accreditation site visit and the surveyors were recommending that we implement a portfolio process to determine that students achieve the Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs) for the program. The faculty have identified key projects/papers/presentations that could be placed in portfolios.

With your experience, Sarah, how would you recommend that we go about implementing the e-portfolio? We use Moodle as our LMS. Can we manage the portfolios via Moodle?

Also, how do you hold students accountable for placing the required information in the e-portfolio?

Our surveyors recommend that as a group, faculty should review each portfolio to assure that students have met the SLOs in order to progress to graduation. Do you have any experience with this?

Karen,
I was surprised that no one had responded to my post, so I was glad to hear from you. I have used e-portfolios for students in a variety of programs that had professional standards or specific skills that had to be demonstrated. Two things that I think worked really well were a reflection component and the opportunity for students to present their portfolios (or a portion of them) to a faculty or professional committee.

A reflection piece was placed after each item in the portfolio, so that the student could explain what he/she had learned, how it was learned and why it was important. The students know what SLOs or standards have to be demonstrated, so they are doing self assessment and showing meta-cognitive awareness.

With an e-portfolio, the student can distribute copies to their faculty committees prior to a face-to-face or video conference. Portfolio presentations can regulated or left up to the student. I have had students perform a written speech, give a Power Point Presentation and demonstrate a taking a patient's vital signs.

Karen,

Make sure that you have a plan regarding assessing your eportfolio. You don't want faculty to be grading assignments twice. You also want to make sure that you have students involved in the decisions of what goes in. It gives them experience in critical thinking of their own work.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sarah,

Thank you for sharing. The students should have a HUGE role in the eportfolio content. You have really developed this.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sarah - is there anything in the literature re: best practices regarding the portfolio process? And, do you know if Moodle has an e-portfolio capability? Thanks, Karen

Karen,

There is quite a bit in literature regarding portfolios. One of the biggest mistakes is thinking you have to regrade the work. This is a holistic look at student work product. You really need a plan.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I couldn't agree more, I find that a portfolio of work is a wonderful tool to reaffirm a students progress and skills. I find that many students are surprised at the quality of work, even from early on in a program.

Heather,

It is a great way for students to look at their work holistically to see their own learning. That is one of the powerful aspects of portfolios.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I have used portfolios before to some degree. Specifically, the portfolio was used when working on a group project, to showcase what the team has accomplished, and which member added which value. I think that this could be extremely valid tool even for individual students. Unfortunately, my courses are preset and I have no way of including this tool in my courses. What would be some ways to post student's portfolios as a part of their professional development process, for a review by future employees?

Sabahudin,

There are some interesting products that are out there. WordPress has been used by some. Others are using Pinterest type products that can help link items.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

We have a course in our program that is specifically for portfolio design, but to create one as an ongoing project,as they go through the program, would make the creation of their final portfolio so much more meaningful.

When they get to their actual portfolio class, they will have a group of work from which they can revise and perfect!

Margaret,

What a great course. That is such an important part of many students' professional lives.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Hello,

I completely agree with you as we used eportfolio's at the high school level. The students became very proud of their work.

Sharon

Sharon,

It also teaches students to look at their own work and the work of others critically. It is important that students can evaluate and provide feedback that they can use as well as others.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment