Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

How can we avoid students from cheating?

It is at times very difficult to stop students from cheating especially in the discussion area. Can you share any ideas you may have on how to control such actions?

How much technology is necessary in an online course?

As an online instructor I often wonder if we can include too much technology within our online course. We want to make sure that we are including information that will enhance the students' experience, but make sure they remain focused on the learning objectives of the course. In my experience, I have seen students lose focus when I include too much animation or too many YouTube videos within my course.

The importance of including a complete and comprehensive syllabus

I feel it is critically important that students are given a clear, complete, and comprehensive syllabus for each online course. Online students are often busy with families, jobs, and other personal obligations. The more prepared they are as to the expectations of the course the more likely they are to succeed. Feedback should also always be encourage regarding the syllabus or any issues that arise during the duration of the course.

Keeping discussions on topic

As an online instructor I often find it difficult to keep the discussion on the appropriate topic. I also often find myself having to diffuse a tense conversation between two or more students. In both of these cases I will often privately email the students involve and remind them of their netiquette along with the importance of adding relevant information to the discussion boards. It usually does not take more than one email to convey the importance of staying on point as well as respecting others who are participating within the discussion board.

Keeping students engaged

As an online instructor I believe it is critical to my students' success that they remain engaged in the course for the duration of the course. It is very easy to lose interest in a course or find reasons not to "attend" when the course is virtual and attendance is not required in a physical classroom. I try to keep my students engaged by posting announcements regularly with catchy phrases and interesting information regarding the topic we are currently discussing. I also make sure my students know I am available for questions and encourage them to reach out often so… >>>

RE: Visual Aids

I know that visual aids are useful for engagement. However, can visual aids, such as, clip art, and other animation distract the learner from other course material?

RE:Course Syllabi

I have used course syllabi that were at least 15 pages. What are some other ways to delivery course information, so students are not overwhelm?

RE: Hyperlinks

I embed links into my discussion post from various sites, such as, YouTube? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

RE: Communication

I have been teaching online for the six years, and I know that having clear, concise, and timely communication is imperative. Are there any suggestions of new innovated ways to communicate with students?

Design and user friendliness

All interactions with technology have to take in to consideration the users abilities. Just as if you were writing a general publication like a news article it has to be done on an elementary level. This is no different even as an online course.

Office hours are more important online than traditional

Students have to be able to contact the instructor especially during online courses. While students in traditional course can see and feel the instructors reactions, online you don't have that interaction. So being available is critical for questions and clarifications.

never done a guest speaker/commentor BUT

I think technology has the major part in this. I have participated in computer speakers and always have that lag, or have that possibility someone asks a question very similar prevents me from commenting so as not being redundant. Phone call ins are great, computers slow and difficult for learners in my experience on the student side.

Keeping everyone on track

I have been playing around with online portal sharing of info and chat sessions and find the conversations have to be crafted and monitored to keep the students from responding to responses and not so much the information. Anyone have some tips to keep everyone on track?

Theory to practice

Online education is notoriously criticized for not properly preparing students for the real world in terms of building soft skills that are desirable to employers. Do you think the use of simulations, story boarding scenarios, etc... can help build student soft skills?

Graded or Ungraded Online Chats?

I find ungraded online chats to be a bit burdensome on the instructor. Speaking from experience, it is common that the vast majority of students don't attend a live chat unless it is graded. What is your experience?

Graded or Ungraded?

Teaching online courses for over a decade, I still struggle with best practices that suggest that students avoid completing learning activities if they are ungraded. What is your experience... graded or ungraded?

Understanding Online Course Content

It is important for each student to understand his or her online course content. Instructors face the challenge of ensuring students is aware of what is available in the course. To accomplish this, it is important to reach out to students to let them know how to navigate the class. I try to point students to the area that contains the most important navigational buttons such as the main menu. Generally an email or an announcement that contains a subject line of interest to the student such as “Submit “A” Grade Assignments”, will grab the student’s attention. If the email… >>>

A Well Written Course is Critical

This was a great part 1. It really shows just how important a well designed course can maintain and keep the interest of the student at the same time making the course fun and less stressful.

ADDIE?

This looked a lot like the ADDIE model but the left off Implementation. Although in the questions on the quiz there was one that mentioned Implementation and Evaluation. Was this a for of the ADDIE model?

Media Strategies and ISD

I read a study that it is important for todays online active learning gaming generation that media formats need to have hyperlinks and power points must have color, animation, graphs, statistics,movement and sound to capture and keep their attention.