Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Course Syllabus

The syllabus is typically your students’ first real introduction to your course, greeting them with the pertinent details regarding what to expect from the course, and what the course might expect from them. It can set the tone for the entire semester,therefore, if you create a poor syllabus who will it impact your course?

Discussion Post

In the online instructional environment, the discussion questions, posts, and responses are the lifeblood of the course. Why is it so challenging to increase participation?

Online vs. Traditional Learning

What is the big difference in online versus traditional education?

Meaningful interjections in discussion threads

I try to audit posts daily to accomplish two things. One, to keep the conversation on point and proper.Two, to correct false assumptions/conclusion on a timely basis before the thread becomes too misleading to the participants!

Media

What are good sources for animation clips?

Assessment

I work in a music production school. Some of our courses require that the student must perform tasks on Audio equipment that the normal musician would not have laying around requiring them to come to the campus. I think this is a great thing but it still limits the "distance learning" model in my mind. I have thought of contracting out to studios in different regions to help accommodate the distance learner and or having a remote truck that would tour certain regions for the assessments. This seems like it could become a costly venture. Has anyone dealt with this… >>>

Online course communication

I would like to hear some experiences of live audio interaction. I like the live audio but It feels a bit stale to me especially when you have multiple students communicating. Any thoughts?

Online Education vs. On-site

In reference to question 10 of the quiz for section 1. I believe that online education cannot be as effective as on-site for career education. It is an effective tool but the student needs to have access to the "tools of the trade" which are not always readily available.

Keeping information up to date

I have never taught online yet, but I have taken many a class, and the ones where the information links have changed are the most frustrating. How would you go about keeping those links updated.

How can a course challenge a wide range of students?

Hi There, So my question is how can a course be built to challenge everyone? If a class is too remedial will this not challenge the students that have this experience and possibly bore them? While I agree that classes need to be made for everyone to use, how can an online class be interesting to an experienced student and a new online student? Thoughts? Thanks, kelly

Live Chats, Office Hours, and other contact times

In an online course I always have Live Chat times that are one hour, Office Hours where students can meet me, and I tell students they can call me anytime between 9am-9pm. While I offer all these times, I often only receive 1 or 2 students who attend or contact me. How do you reach the students that never contact you, but maybe need to? I find that even calling, emailing everyone doesn't work either. I want to make sure that I am available, but at the same time, I want to make sure students will utilize these opportunities if… >>>

Guest Speakers-critiques

Would you allow guest speakers or guest Professors to run critiques in your classroom? Do you think students would benefit from this? Why or why not? Thanks in advance!

re: building online course

Do all courses need to be revised after time? Why or why not? Thanks!

Writing Skills

When I lived in Chandler, Ariz., I was blessed to have found Changing Hands Bookstore in Tempe. The owners schedule writing workshops throughout the year. Not only did I meet fellow aspiring authors, I met published authors who would share writing tips and tricks such as the importance of using an outline, whether you write fiction or nonfiction. Writer's conferences and workshops are good places to meet editors, literary agents, publishers, and other writers. You can take a class or two and improve your writing skills in no time, and the contacts you make are invaluable to your career.

Customizing students output

I would provide students with an anecdote about the implications of substandard writing or the value of good writing. For example, you may talk about a job candidate who missed selection due to his or her poor writing. (Motivation)

Conventional Teaching

I think that its a traditional usage by teachers to prepare a written test.... Suppose that you were administrating test in your classroom. How would you prepare a student's work in a timely manner... However, constructing good items is time consuming and it is ineffective to measure. Davis

Assessment changes

Not only do instructors have to change in the way assessments are done, but the schools must change to all for the new manners of assessment.

WICKIS good or bad

WICKIS have a lot of good information. However not all of the information is accurate. Students must be encouraged to validate what they find in a WICKI before using it in a class.

I am constantly amazed

I pose questions to my online and on ground students that I would have had to work hard to find the answers. They come up with the answers in minutes from the internet, blogs and other sources.

Teaching Hybrid classes

I find teaching hybrid classes to be much more rewarding than teaching totally on line classes. I find I can learn much more about my students from the face to face communication. The challenge is to make the students understand that they must be as good in time managemant as they are for an online class.