Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Online vs. Traditional Learning

What is the big difference in online versus traditional education?

Catina,
The "education" is the same. Transfer of knowledge. Online gives the student the chance to learn when they can, midnight, after baby goes to sleep, when they get off work. Traditional is still really good for those who need hands on learning. I am a believer in education. It depends on how you want to obtain that transfer of knowledge.

Shelly Crider

C-

I agree with you. The challenge for design programs is the face to face peer critique and physical design project deliverables -for example a package design mock up.

Brad

Brad,
Have you tried to do group discussion areas for this type of activity?

Shelly Crider

I've had the opportunity to obtain my undergraduate degree as a traditional student and my advanced degrees as an online student. Both were suitable for me at the particular time in my life that I obtained the degrees. I agree with the facilitator that the education is the same. However, I believe that when online education first began, it was thought to be an easier way to obtain a degree. While I loved the flexibility, I have to admit that work requirement was intense. If a person is not organized, it can be extremely difficult to stay on task.

Wanda

I find the biggest difference in online versus traditional education is the responsibility placed on the learner for learning. In traditional education settings, many times the instructor is the focus of the course and the students simply have to sit back and listen. Whereas, online learning requires the student to take control of the learning process.

Wanda,
Good point. Learning will occur when and where the time is right!

Shelly Crider

Joseph,
Good point. The online learned must be self motivated to do the work. A student who needs to be prompted to turn work in every time, will not be very successful.

Shelly Crider

I believe the difference between the two is mostly dependent upon the student's commitment and perspective. As an undergraduate student, I went to the traditional school and lived in dormitories. I enjoyed the experience and for me, at that time, it was the best solution as I was a traditional, 17-year old student. However, as a graaduate student, with different priorities, I appreciated the flexibility and convenience of the online platform. The difference to me is related to individual preferences, commitment level, motivation, and individual student goals. From the perspective of the teacher, I think that after teaching in a traditional environment versus online...the relationship building is perhaps the biggest difference for me. As an online instructor, I often miss the interactions of seeing the student face to face, particularly when it is a struggling student. The quality of instruction is not compromised, but honestly, the ability to "see" the need in the eyes of the student is what I miss most. But, I like the idea that an education is made available to many more students and there are many students who can thrive more in the online platform...it is really the student's needs that determines the best platform.

Sign In to comment