Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Course Setup

Having worked for several online institutions over the years, I have seen various forms of classroom set up. Some are more static media and text intensive. While others focus more on interactive content. As an instructor I appreciate the ease in which text based content can be modified and updated as needed, however deliver of multimedia content is hard to update and can significantly out of date within a year. Especially when teaching software based courses where the program interface might be completely different each year. Has anyone found that schools are reluctant to update multimedia content on a quick turnaround?

Adam,
Nice comment on the multimedia updates. Many schools will rely on the instructor to help them keep up to date. Let your Director of Curriculum know what multimedia that you are using that needs to be updated. Many of these we will know ahead of time.

Shelly Crider

Hi Adam,

I have also seen this and agree with your comments. It is easier to revise and update text information within the course. It is much more difficult to update videos or applets, especially if you are not the course designer.

One thing that I have noticed, though, is that if a third-party homework system is used, then this problem gets moved there. For example, if the students complete math homework and tests on a site that is associated with their book, these updates are often made with the text. They are then always up to date as the publisher has a vested interest in keeping new videos and problems stored for the students.

Best,
Brian Stout

Sign In to comment