Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

technology is only a tool

"Technology is only a tool in learning and should never direct the process"
Although wonderful in theory often it does. Many students involved in on line learning are buisy people and look at on line as a fast way to " get it done" on their time and sadly technology does become the director.

Laura ,

Agreed. Technology should only mediate the process whereas instructors should be the guides and directors in terms of helping students get the most out of the experience.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

You have a good point- it is only a tool, but it is often a main tool! I teaching math and, as in any math course, the majority of the work is on computations. The student must do computations themselves in order to learn the material. Online math courses often use an interactive platform for homework and tests. It is indeed the main tool of the course, and one might argue that within the limits of the course (which were created by faculty members) the technology does indeed direct the process!

I think this is for the best, though. Many "non-mathematical" students appreciate the additional structure provided by these online homework tools. Essentially they are a personal tutor for each student!

Best,
Brian Stout

Brian,
Great points, Brian. I have heard Math teachers take both sides of this discussion specifically with students who are completing remedial Math work. I can see, however, that the structure of technology environments and tools would support the learning process for Math students.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Sign In to comment