Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Group or Paired Work

There are powerful and great skills for student development. Additional skills discussed in regards to groups and pair work in the form of a project are . Collaboration, 2) compromise and 3) cooperation. There three concepts provide a wider application for students in the workplace.

Technology moving forward

Technology is moving at an astonishing pace. We no longer rely on the old or out dated technology such as dialing phones or dictionaries. We use to have rotary phones and our minds were sharper and could hold a multitude of numbers. Today the cell phones provide voice dialing were you don't need to recall any numbers just names. As for as spelling goes some of the new generation kids do not remember the spelling rules, they just depend on spell check and will not pick up a dictionary for the life of them. Technology is moving but we must… >>>

Mediation

Mediation can occur between computers and people in a learning context to demonstrate a multitude of processes. We use computer mediation to day to bridge the gap by use of audio tape, TV programs, phone calls, and radio. As fast as technology is growing we sometime need all the help we can get to minimize the gap between the on growing technical world and us, the people.

Logic Vs Effort

Logic is a discipline. Some A(s) are B(s) Some B(s) are A(s) therefore all A(s) are B(s) is by definition is illogical. It seems on occasion that teachers are using logic and effort interchangeably. A student can exert effort and should be rewarded, students can have opinions and should be rewarded for thinking about the course content, but they cannot have their own logic. When we grade the process holistically don't we run the risk of rewarding illogical thinking because he student puts forth effort?

Computers

Computers provide teacher and students with another tool for voicing there opinions and being heard as well as searching for information and knowledge.

Instructor Technical Knowledge

Instructor Technical Knowledge of computers and their systems is a key to online courses. I feel very secure instructing in a classroom because I can address any students questions or concerns. In the online course it is harder sometimes to do this. This is my first online course instructing and every day I find different ways to assist and utilize moodle.

Developing an Instructor/Student Working Relationship

In an online course it can be difficult in five weeks to develop an instructor/student working relationship. I have been very lucky to have a high number of military service members enrolled in my previous classroom and now online course. It gives me an opportunity in my Bio to address my military service and the students understand. In addition to having had a full time job; raised a family and worked on my degrees. I am also taking an online course at this time toward an MBA. They can read that we have similar stories and life experiences. Letting them… >>>

Should have waited to start this course after the holidays

I have too many distractons now to do this. I will come back at a later date in January 015. Edward

Is there a possible web lexicon of media formats?

Is there a possible web lexicon of media formats? ie. graphics, audio, animation, and video formats and codecs, proper usage, and best methods for dissemination in online classes.

Inclusion in online chats

While in ground based classes, it is easier to see, identify and more importantly identify how NOT to approach the shy or insecure student. How is this issue addressed in the online chat session?

Technologies and outcomes

Have any studies been done comparing different technologies used in relations to different student outcomes?

Course Setup

Having worked for several online institutions over the years, I have seen various forms of classroom set up. Some are more static media and text intensive. While others focus more on interactive content. As an instructor I appreciate the ease in which text based content can be modified and updated as needed, however deliver of multimedia content is hard to update and can significantly out of date within a year. Especially when teaching software based courses where the program interface might be completely different each year. Has anyone found that schools are reluctant to update multimedia content on a quick… >>>

technology is only a tool

"Technology is only a tool in learning and should never direct the process" Although wonderful in theory often it does. Many students involved in on line learning are buisy people and look at on line as a fast way to " get it done" on their time and sadly technology does become the director.

structural integrity

I find the term " structural integrity" to be vague and open to interpitation Any thoughts?

Interactive Learning

I like the idea of hybrid learning because, as both a high school and college teacher I am very aware of the attention span of young people today. They are constantly being innondated with technology and media from all sides. Have many learning choices allows for students to engage on a more indepth level and allows different types of learners to have a better understanding.

New online teacher starting out

Hello, I am being directed to develop an online AS degree for my school. We have chosen an LMS and they will provide some training for online teaching, as well as pursuing this certification. Can anyone else recommend some good books to use to buff up my online teaching pedagogy? Thanks!

Storyboarding

Storyboarding is an efficient way to improve the e-Learning development process for your entire team. Do you agree or disagree? Why or why not?

Course Syllabus

The syllabus is typically your students’ first real introduction to your course, greeting them with the pertinent details regarding what to expect from the course, and what the course might expect from them. It can set the tone for the entire semester,therefore, if you create a poor syllabus who will it impact your course?

Discussion Post

In the online instructional environment, the discussion questions, posts, and responses are the lifeblood of the course. Why is it so challenging to increase participation?

Online vs. Traditional Learning

What is the big difference in online versus traditional education?