Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Online course communication

I would like to hear some experiences of live audio interaction. I like the live audio but It feels a bit stale to me especially when you have multiple students communicating. Any thoughts?

John-Reed,
I have done weekly meetings in the past with great results. I used this time to talk about new resources, which students love, and then we had open time for questions or problems. I try to make the meetings short and sweet, 20 minutes unless there are lots of questions (right before finals).

Shelly Crider

EL 101 Forum 2

I enjoy doing a weekly online chat with my on ground students. There is too much time between classes. The goal is to keep students engaged; the weekly chat helps. For instance, classes are Monday and Tuesdays for 5 hours each. I will hold a chat on Thursday or Saturday afternoon to discuss the upcoming week and questions. The key is duration…15 minutes unless there are a lot of questions. I also have a thread if the students missed the class and have questions.

Daniel,
Excellent point on keeping the student engaged!

Shelly Crider

You may want to look at program called Voice thread. It will allow for conversation and communication between students. It is pretty easy to use, and it is link based so it can be embedded anywhere. I like to use it in my Health care coding classes where students can get together and code health records and discuss how they arrived at a particular code assignment. It is asynchronous but could serve as a tool to guide further discussion.

Here is the link:
http://voicethread.com/

Let me know if you like it!
Mary Kay Taylor

Mary Kay,
This is an excellent resource!!! I hope many of you take the time to check it out....as I did!!

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment