Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Writing Skills

When I lived in Chandler, Ariz., I was blessed to have found Changing Hands Bookstore in Tempe. The owners schedule writing workshops throughout the year. Not only did I meet fellow aspiring authors, I met published authors who would share writing tips and tricks such as the importance of using an outline, whether you write fiction or nonfiction.

Writer's conferences and workshops are good places to meet editors, literary agents, publishers, and other writers. You can take a class or two and improve your writing skills in no time, and the contacts you make are invaluable to your career.

that is good I think more people should engage in a writing class(typing as well).

Ty,

Literacy in general is still core for all students.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Hi Chris,

That's wonderful. I find with my younger students it is very hard for them to write a complete sentence that shows they are at least analyzing the information they are learning. Too often I get "I agree" "that's good" etc. and have to pull teeth to get students to explain why it's good using the knowledge they have learned over the period of the course.

When I was 16-years old, I took writing course entitled: "Story Workshop" from Paul Pekin. The methodology was developed by John Schultz, here in Chicago. I also had the good fortune to marry Anne, who was an English major in college, and also taught me how to write. Together, and after many failures, I think that I learned how to write. I write the way I talk and the way I think. I know of no other way to write effectively.

Donald L. Buresh

Sign In to comment