Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Managing students vs manipulating students

Unfortunately, there are situations when students get other instructors involved in a situation and the "other" insturcor sides with the student and lets the student know (leaving the first instructor our of the loop completely). Basically, the student is manipulating the situation and the instructor is allowing it. Instuctros must be equiped to live by the "golden rule" - to which is to remain impartial in the student's eye - even if they agree with the student - becasue they want to reamin "on good terms" (be every students friend).   

Instructors must know where to draw the line when communicating with students and/or situations about other instructors - even in "jest."  

Irma,

I see this with a few teachers here. It is a shame that some teachers would rather be "bff" instead of a leader of education.  The students who are influenced by this will come out at the short end of the stick in the end.  I have seen it happen over an over.  On the other hand, there are many teachers here who do a fan-tabulous job! The students begin to see how much they have learned and how successful they are.  Word gets around fast.

Keep your eye on success.  Keep doing your job.  Doing your job correctly will eventually lead to many successes -- noticed by many.

I totally agree.  Do you think the second instructor should leave it alone or talk to the first instructor about what is being said?

Students always want to push the limit and see what they can get away with, unfortunately these student take these same behavior to the work place and at time create dis-hormony among their co-worker. It is importnat to be united as instuructors and give the appearance as a united front, call out manipulative students and and show them how this behavior is toxic in an work place environment.

Sign In to comment