Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Catching "zzz's" in computer class

Redirecting students in a fairly quiet computer classroom can be a challenge.  I first ask the student if he/she are feeling alright and offer for he/she to go take a break, get a drink, or freshen up to help wake he/she.  If the student is a repeat offender, I meet with he/she personally to discuss solutions.

this can be a difficult situation especially when there are students who work graveyard shifts and then come straight to class.  they are living on a few hours of sleep a day between work, school, family, and studying.  I try to work with individuals to keep them busy.  One thing that works wonders is lecturing for 20 min, hands-on 20 min, computers 20 min.... repeat.  Today's students are mainly composed of the new computer generation that keeps them very mentally active.  Things change continuously.  They need that same action in the classroom.  Having students sit in front of a computer for 4.5 hours is not what they are paying for.  Those classes fall under "online" courses. 

Our job is to teach while class is in session.  They have work they must do at home. 

20 minutes for each teaching component is a great way to schedule in a "state change' during the class day. Sitting for any longer and for example, continuing to lecture would just lead to lights out. For many students, class time is even longer than the time they have to sleep each day. Even for those students who are not sleep deprived, 20 minute class components keeps the students active mentally and moving around keeps the class upbeat.

Sign In to comment