Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Increasing Student Retention by Flipping the Classroom | Origin: ED410

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Increasing Student Retention by Flipping the Classroom 

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too

I am a new instructor, learning new teaching techniques and strategies is my main goal for this year. Any feedback on student retention by flipping the classroom? 

I have learned that the flipped classroom concept does not have to be daunting. For those like me who have taught for a while using the traditional techniques, it may seem overwhelming to revamp everything all at once. Most of us have found a rhythm that has worked well for us over time when teaching a particular course. 

However, I now know a more conservative approach can be taken. Instead of delivering the entire course in a flipped classroom style, instructors can take one lesson or one unit and see how the flipped classroom style works first. I believe it's probably the more realistic approach due to the time commitment required to properly plan a solid execution. When done well, it can work, but it takes time. The ability to tweak and improve before a full-scale launch of your course using the flipped classroom concept is activated seems less stressful and a smarter approach.

Like the idea of flipping a lesson at a time to feel out the new style before implementing across the board.  I also imagine there are some lessons and units that may be more favorable to this new style.  I plan to do just that and go from there.  Picking the right lesson will be important.

I will be able to make this work. This is an excellent presentation.

In the current COVID-19 environment we have worked to flip a number of our courses.  The "classroom" time has now become the virtual meeting space.  Zoom has been a tremendous help and a number of our instructors have adopted the platform to assist them in executing their courses.

I appreciated breaking down applying the flipped classroom into three steps.  It seems less daunting to take a module, identify the methods of learning, create the activities and then assess the material - in a creative way.  

I plan to use the in home activities by having pre-recorded lectures to watch and prepare for in class time. For step 2, I will use that time more for interactive learning, activities, and games.  Step 3 will be the homework assignments and projects.

I have learned that the flipped clarroom method does not only apply to on ground work but can be used online given the right planning and execution. As long as students are able to gather in groups, I can get them to engage in activities together - be it in a classroom on campus or in break out groups on the Blackboard. I think most importantly, I have to ensure that step one offers students enough resources and ways to learn that will allow the to come to class feeling confident in the material they learned. 

I plan to use this method of flipped lectures in my classroom when I teach in my practical lab with my students.

I have been considering flippng the classroom for some time now but have put if off because I thought that it would be too involved and take a lot more time than I believe it will now.

Because I only see my classes once per week for 45 minutes, FTC will be very beneficial to helping us use our time doing more productive work and learning.

I will definitely try this approach. I think it will take some time for my students to get used to this format.

I'm relatively new to the flipped classroom idea. It does seem like it will take a lot of prep work, so I think I will try it out for a few modules and see what happens. 

The flipped classroom really focuses on learning through in class activities, while the at home portion is more for front loading basic informatio.

COVID has made flipping the classroom much easier. Now that students have the ability to work at home and are getting used to working at home they are more prepared for this type of learning. Now that students are in the classsroom, this is a way to continue learning at home. The classroom piece will take out some of the frustratiuon from students not understanding and getting stuck.

I like the idea of the flipped classroom, allowing students to prepare at home,  and then come into class with a basic knowledge of the topic being covered. This allows them time to consider what we are discussing, and allows them to better understand our objectives. I will definitely try this approach to teaching. 

I like the flipped classroom concept, I plan on adding concepts each semester.

I found out that I have been flipping the classroom for some time now.  But I didn't have the fondamnets so clear as I have now.  Having more tools for the preparation of the class, makes a good difference in time management and the way we teach.

El flipp classroom requiere de nueva planificación de cursos, y que el profesorado este listo para planificar clases teóricas, ejemplificaciones, prácticas, y recibir a  estudiantes con trabajos realizados para discutir teoría aplicada y evaluar resultados. Para estar alineado al curso se debe trabajar con las actividades apropiadamente para que puedan generar un proyecto final de paso a paso. Permite un enfoque profesional en todo el desempeño del estudiante dentro del  proceso de enseñanza-aprendizaje. 

I will implement this method of flipped lectures in my classroom. 

This method is truly useful and student oriented. I have applied this kind of technique on my classes and the student retention has been susscessful. 

Sign In to comment