Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Customer Service in the Classroom | Origin: ED209

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Students as Customers --> Customer Service in the Classroom

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

In this part it is important to understand the type of student and the type of class that work the best.

The adult student can be benefit very much when you relate what he is learning to his own life expirience.

It is also important to understand that most of the students prefer and organized lecture done by the professor.

Adult learners like well structured classes and are generally more self-motivated. 

It is improtant to know what type of learning style adult learners perfer.

Learning and knowing your students, help the instructor construct the presentation in such a way, whereupon the students can learn and assimilate better

To treat students like customers we need to implement guidelines, techniques for advising, and mentoring.

Make sure you utilize all different learning structures and implement them.

It is important that the instructor is prepared with a lesson where they ask the questions not the students. Adult learners want to be organized and they appreciate having the schedule,  the expectations,  and clear and accurate information. 

I try to make sure that if i view the student as a customer, I don't take the stand point of overly "pleasing" the customer like in a consumer type situation.  They are still students and must follow instruction.

Engage with students for learning style preferences, then modify lesson plans accordingly.  The student may be more engaged, the instructor is making a better connection, all parties are benefiting and it is good customer service from the student/instructor/institution's perspectives.

Learning style preferences should be taken into account when developing lessons and review.  However, lessons should also promote their potential encounters in the workplace.  Using a combination of structured lectures, outlined lesson plans/schedules, and discussions that pull from the unique student backgrounds will enhance student learning and retention. 

Response time from instructors can motivate both high and low performers in their learning and completion of assignments.  Learning is a group effort so using terms such as "we" or "our" makes the learning a community activity so students feel less isolated in their experience.  Letting students know it is okay to be wrong promotes motivation to try. 

Life experiences in an adult can be beneficial.  They are more self-motivated and would like more structure and want clear expectations in the classroom.

Before teaching an adult learner a needs assessment must be done and students should be able to diagnosis their needs. Using Their knowledge, prior knowledge and critical reflection the students can be actively involved in their learning.

many adult learners thrive by learning indepedently while others may need more hands on learning 

The self directed learning for the students and enjoying it, remain targeted along with the interactional style of the instructors is very important.

students are learners involve in learning

Many adult learners are self-directed.

Smiling, Relaxing body posture, Varying gestures I can agree have a hugh impact on the student ability to feel comfortable and be completely honest with their needs

Hi all

It is true that most adult learner tend to be independent, confident, and demonstrate a desire to learn because of their age and experience. I found that many of my adult learners will initiate learning, with or without assistance from others. These learners are usually highly motivated, and task oriented.

try different types of learning techniques for those who might not be self motivators

Sign In to comment