Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Two Types of Motivators: Intrinsic & Extrinsic | Origin: ED112

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Influencing Student Motivation --> Two Types of Motivators: Intrinsic & Extrinsic

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

The two types of motivators are intrinsic and extrinsic

Instrinsic motivation is the "goal" but extrinsic can serve a purpose

Must use more extrinsic types of motivation in the class.  Great idea to use games in a classroom for the intrinsic motivation, like a crossword.

Intrinsic and extrinsic motivation are helpful tools.

There are two types of motivation, intrinsic and extrinsic. 

Instrinsic motivators are self-gratifying and do not require any other reward. Extrinsic typcially requires recognition, reward, grade, or certificate. Extrinsic can eventually lead to intrinsic.

Going to be taking a good look at the way we are motivating our students both intrinsically and extrinsically 

In our program extrinsic motivation is what brings people in but we have to find the intrinsic motivation in order to succeed. 

Two types of adult learner motivators are intrinsic and extrinsic. Which are internal forces and external. 

This was a really good refresher for me. I've been teaching for a long time now, and gotten away from the motivation tips. Thanks for this course.

This was hard! I understand intrinsic and extrinsic. But separating the two and than "could be both"...

I can say I honestly do not do too much extrinsic motivational activities. But, now said I can think about the opportunities to promote or instill intrinsic learning.  

learned the differences between intrinsic and extrinsic motivators

Intrinsic and Extrinsic Motivators

Intrinsic, extrinsic and having both motivators are important to know when learning  how to encourage students. I believe in students developing strong intrinsic motivators. I believe that the teacher's job is to discover that intrinsic motivator in each student. I believe that if the intrinsic motivator is discovered in a student that student can accomplish anything that student wants. Etrinsic motivators are a added bonus. I don’t think you really need awards, prizes or punishment to accomplish a task . 

Motivation relies on both intrinsic and extrinsic factors. Extrinsic factors usually involve receiving an award or gain of some kind, such as awards, premiums, or notariety. Intrinsic motivation is more internal and organic, and involves doing something for the love of it. Intrinsic otivation is stronger, longer-lasting, and more effective. Extrinsic motivation can be used to provide a bridge to intrinsic motivation. Gamification is a great method of providing both intrinsic motivation (because it is fun to play) and extrinsic motivation (in the form of high scores, trophies or stars, etc.).

Both intrinsic and extrinsic motivations are beneficial to each person. Some people have more intrinsic than extrinsic, while others are more extrinsic than intrinsic. 

being aware of what motivates students is important to allow optimal outcomes

Excited about using both Intrinsic and extrinsic motivators in my class.

Intrinsic motivators contribute the most to a students security in the classroom

Very educational, will try both Intrinsic And extrinsic motivators.

Sign In to comment