Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

What is Critical Thinking

Critical thinking is a self-directed phenomenon through which the human intellect is awakened. It constitutes a connection between ontology and epistemology.It engages in effective communication and problem solving. Critical thinking consists of brainstorming, analyzing, and prioritizing. the critical thinker is one who utilizes inductive and deductive forms of cognitive thinking in order to achieve solutions that resolve practical and theoretical problems within scholarship and other aspects of human life.

Graphic Organizers For Writing Courses

In writing courses we often equip our students with graphic organizers for the brainstorming step in the Writing Process. However, students receive more information than just the Writing Process. For example, my students tend to grasp the concept of the Writing Process with little problem but they struggle with understanding APA format. Any suggestions on the type of graphic organizer that would work for this topic? Or would structured notes be a better option for this topic? All suggestions are welcome!

Learning style applied.

I instruct at a adult lab environment. I usually start with some introductory lecture time and I soon see who are my audio learners and visual learners and even my Hand on leaners. I just have to be creative enough and aware of each of the students while interacting with them. I find this very helpful in delivering knowledge and thus the reward of teaching.

Adult Learner Motivation

I believe there are number of factors that would motivate adult learners to return to school but ultimately it can be summarized to intrinsic and extrinsic influences. Most adult learners are motivated intrinsically; they simple want to learn for the sake of just learning, personal growth, and development of social relationship. Tantamount to intrinsic influences; extrinsic influences that is controlled by external environmental factors can play a major role in motivation for adult learners. Its driving force is professional growth and moving ahead. Simply put “a means to an end” The emphasis is on the reward from the outcome

scaffolding

good stuff to apply in the classroom to help students reach their goal

repeating

constantly going over material and how it relates to the students future

cheese

using the cheese method in class may work out since they talk of food a lot, Thanks....

Robert Havighurst and developmental task theory

I didagree with Robert Havighurst's developmental task theory. I bebleive an individuals development depends soley on their life experiences. These experiences are what clearly will define an individual. Not based on what age they are and the terms of development.

Stored information

With only 5 hrs a week in classroom it is important to use pictures and letters even phrases to help the storage of important content

Pretest

Pretesting even if it is just asking a handful of questions out loud to the whole class helps me get them directed towards the test at had and sparks good interaction

Soft skills

The soft skills are the things I try to make the young learners understand. Know what your doing isn't worth much if you don't show up on time and apply them.

Recalling

I like to throw out questions at random of things we have covered even from classes weeks before from time to make them use there memory recall. it helps them realize they are learning

Data, Information, Intelligence

During the course I had sometimes the feeling that data and information were mixed. In the military there is an intelligence directorate (J2), which has the task to analyse the environment (terrain, enemy etc.). Here data is symbols or facts out of context; thus it is not directly or immediately meaningful. It is completely unprocessed. Information is data that is placed in some sort of interpretive context, thus acquiring at least some meaning and value; but it’s not yet processed. Intelligence results from puting information in an actual context, processing it.

Scaffolding

This is a great technique for students that have no previous experience in the field that they are going into. It takes time for them to grasp the need for the concepts they are learning and then and only then can the actually grasp the concepts. Scaffolding gives them something to "hold on to" while going through this process.

decoding

This is the only way to teach complicated processes in my opinion. Especially for students new to the field. Each step of the process must be related to a concept they already understand.

Testing

I find in testing it is highly important to use questions that relate directly to exercises that were completed in the classroom. The hands on activity that relates directly to the field the student is entering are invaluable as preparation for the field and retention for testing.

Blurred lines

Do you think its hard to distinguish the differences between emotional intelligence and common sense?

Problem solving conflicts

Problem solving is a concern amongst many of our students. The ability to solve problems with others, personal problems, as well as academic problems, lacks. The majority of the students have concerns related to the initial step. Their ability to articulate the problem, or recognize the core issue, needs development. One of the greatest impediments upon the cultivation process of this initial step is the knowledge pool of limited experience. So many of our students have limited life experiences to draw from which makes critical thinking, communication, and over problem solving difficult.

On the Line

Working on the line can be high paced and intensely unpredictable. Critical thinking and the ability to quickly troubleshoot are essential in the restaurant work environment. As items run out, appliances break, customers become disgruntled, and stress rises critical thinking can be significantly useful in creating efficiency and thus product quality.

A critical thinker

A critical thinker has the ability to introduce new information and raise valuable questions and concerns, while formulating and articulating clear and precise concepts of innovation. A critical thinker extracts and analyzes relevant information, using abstract ideas to interpret it effectively into well-reasoned conclusions and solutions. The analytical vise tests each component and minute factor against relevant criteria and standards in an effort to produce progressive ideas. A critical thinker is openminded, embracing alternative systems of thought, recognizing and assessing, as need be, their assumptions, implications, and practical consequences, while communicating effectively with others to determine solutions to complex problems.