Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Blurred lines

Do you think its hard to distinguish the differences between emotional intelligence and common sense?

Gabriel,
At times it can be because the emotional intelligences aspect can overwhelm common sense unless students are given the time to step back and think about the situation from a global perspective. From this effort good decisions can result.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I have found that there is nothing common about common sense. However, these two things appear to have not much in common. I would gather the emotional intelligence has more to do with one's ability to "keep his cool" in a stressful situation and common sense would help them to use the basics around them to solve the concern.

John,
Like how you define both forms of intelligence. Emotional intelligence along with ability to think through and solve problems sets a person up in a way that is going to enhance his or her potential for career success. These are the people that employers are looking for.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I think you are right about that fine line of distinguishing between emotional intelligence and common sense. I feel that in a highly aggregated situation, our emotions can interfere and we ignore our common sense.

Sherry,
Good point and this is why it is important to step back at times and do some reflecting on the problem that is there. Once some time has been spent reflecting then a person can step back to the problem and hopefully start to get a understanding how common sense can be used to solve the situation.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I agree, especially depending on the background they are coming from at times as well. I think this actually applies to everyday life, not just in education setting.

Emotional intelligence can overwhelm common sense. That's when one needs to reflect on the situation (sleep on it) before making a decision. It's sort of like writing a letter, but not mailing it right away. Once you come back to it any discrepancies will be illuminated.

Sign In to comment