Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Adult Learner Motivation

I believe there are number of factors that would motivate adult learners to return to school but ultimately it can be summarized to intrinsic and extrinsic influences. Most adult learners are motivated intrinsically; they simple want to learn for the sake of just learning, personal growth, and development of social relationship. Tantamount to intrinsic influences; extrinsic influences that is controlled by external environmental factors can play a major role in motivation for adult learners. Its driving force is professional growth and moving ahead. Simply put “a means to an end” The emphasis is on the reward from the outcome

Tarek,

Many would disagree with your contention that typical adult learner wants to learn for learning's sake. The most commonly sited reason is that the adult student wants to make a change for economic reasons.

Jeffrey Schillinger

I think a lot of adult learners believe they are missing something in life either being unsatisfied with their career or wanting to earn more money

Wayne,

Thanks for this post. What are some specific things you do to determine what each individual's motivations are?

Jeffrey Schillinger

Almost all of my students are pursuing a career or a career change. That being said, some of them are engaged in the information and procedures being taught while others are there just to "check the box" in order to complete the program. It's the latter group that I find hardest to engage. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Andrew,

Sometimes there is value in having the students who have experience with a subject lead small groups of less experienced students.

Jeffrey Schillinger

Sign In to comment