Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Solving student tardiness

It is best to check attendance at the beginning of the class period. A student should also be made to know that whether he/she is not in class yet, the class will start and that he/she is responsible for what he/she has missed. Lastly, any homework is to be collected at the beginning of the class period.

Class activities

There are many class activities that can generate critical thinking, such as brainstorming, group presentations, peer editing. When students ask each others how they can organize the presentation, what devices they can use to enhance their presentation, when they go over each others writing assignments, discuss their recommendations for correction- all these give students the opportunities to reason, to question, and to make judgments. The instructor has to make sure though that everybody in the group participates in the planning and in the discussions.

retention

Having a book in front of you and a power point can help you but there are various additions that prove useful. Having hard parts that they can pass around as well as drawing specific systems in the board and having them copy them aids in the understanding and retention of the topic.

Public Opinion

In one of our intro classes I have a project where the student must give their opinion on a current subject.. IE. ObamaCare.... Then we form up groups based on their current bias. They must research the item with 5 facts that are opposite of their current opinion that they did not know before they did the research. It's used as a thought provoking discussion of how they form opinions on what is not necessarily all the required information.

support

supporting the students mental is very importing you never know who you are helping out with your support

testing

pretesting allows you to know where your students are at

training

i like the training part of this session it allows you to test on the things that was taught

thinking

I really like the thinking break and how your brain need a break to regroup

Essential Task of the Educator

The essential task of the educator is to arrange conditions of the learner’s environment so that processes of learning will be activated, supported, enhanced, and maintained.” Also, the instructor must be able to demonstrate considerable knowledge of the principles and methodologies of effective teaching and learning with demonstrated experiences in sharing that knowledge with colleagues through formal and informal professional learning activities.

Self-Directed Learning

What are some ways to introduce more self-directed learning activities into the classroom environment?

Kolb and the Whole Brain Theory

Kolb provided us with insight into the different types of personality. He created a four-quadrant model as well; including ways we sense, perceive and respond to external stimuli. He thought there were Thinkers, Watchers, Feelers and Doers. In my psych class I ask the class to write down which combination(s) they are and then do an inventory to see if there responses match their notions of their personality. It got me thinking, how much of what theorists assign to the left brain or right brain might be more of a process of the mind i.e. the development of the personality… >>>

Urgency

I find when dealing with adult students they want to get to the core of the subject matter. They want cut through the fluff and get to the point.

Personal Problem Solving

One of the best methods I have found with helping student begin to think critically and be reflective thinkers is to have them work through a problem-solving method using a problem they are having in their own lives. I think this helps them connect with the concept and allows them to see the value of the process outside of the classroom setting.

Adult Learner Motivation

1.Internal based 2. Improve job skills 3. Must be relevant 4. Adjust to stages of life

Graphic Organizers

I use these in my anatomy class to show how each component of the body builds it in the whole body. I then use this same approach to show how they will use the things they are learning in their daily careers.

Using students needs

I believe their goals/aspirations could be ask a question on the pre-test and then incorporated in with the knowledge based questions.

Interesting Module

Interesting in theory, difficult to appeal to various learning styles in the class room but this is the challenge isn't?

Theories Of Learning

Out of all the factors discussed that influence learning does one trump over the other or they all equally weighted?

Different Teaching Tools

I employ many different teaching tools such as lecture, power-point and Youtube video as a means to help my students retain information.

Opening students eyes

I believe it is important to relate course work to real world experiences. I have learned over the years, students often have a hard time understanding how course work relates to their future career. I make it a point to connect those dots for them.