Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Recalling

I like to throw out questions at random of things we have covered even from classes weeks before from time to make them use there memory recall. it helps them realize they are learning

James,
Good way to keep the content fresh in the minds of your students and reinforcing in their memory banks what they need to remember and be able to recall.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

When our students are in the lab we do “spot checks” randomly to also re-visit information that was given. We will ask the students questions like: “what is that tool called?”, “Can you please measure this for me?”, “what process did you use?”. It seems to work well.

i agree it is a good tool to use and it keep them on there toes, and help them rember what you have talked about.

Jack,
Right you are. The more they recall content more it gets stored in their memory banks.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

As the program I teach is on a wheel format each 6 weeks I have new students in and older students just finishing. I have to use this type of recall on a regular basis to make my returning students recall previous topics and introduce new students to a new topic. There are educators that feel this is not a good way of learning, that the linear approach is more conjusive to retention. However in my experience the students actually retain more from this method.

Rachael,
This has been my experience as well when teaching in this type of format. Recalling and repetition are two great ways to get students to become involved in the learning process and see what they do and do not know about the topic being discussed.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I like this process because it forces them to think on their own and engrain it further into their brain. Great exercise!

I do an alike exercise. I put out major components of the subject matter using key words that when looked up by the students brings about an understanding of each part that when put together brings a better understanding of the entire lesson and subject matter.

Repetition is a fantastic way to ingrain things in your students memory but I find that you need to mix it up a little bit. If you want your students to remember what an item is used for, hold it up and tell them "this is item x, and it is used for this purpose". A little later, hold it up and ask "what is this called? And what do we use it for?". The next time you want to ask about the item, do not show it and ask the questions differently. Each time you ask, phrase the question differently so that they are not just associating an image (the item) with a name and definition, but they are also helping to gain a real understanding of the item along with the memory.

I agree totally james that is yet another way to engage the students

It is one of the easiest to learn especially for me. We all do this method even with children to adults.

I like to to ask questions about previous material to reinforce basic knowledge. Sometimes I find review is very important and students seem to tune in.

I didn't realize I was using eposodic memory tools, but I recently needed to explain the meaning of "unilateral", and I started by asking the class when was the last time anyone saw someone riding a "unicycle". After several recalled circuses and parades, I linked the meaning of the one wheel deciding on its own where to go without the cooperation of a second wheel, to how individuals, businesses, and nations often decide what to do without consultation of a second party. The students seemed to absorb the concept easier than in prior attempts to explain it.

Sign In to comment