Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

What is Critical Thinking

Critical thinking is a self-directed phenomenon through which the human intellect is awakened. It constitutes a connection between ontology and epistemology.It engages in effective communication and problem solving. Critical thinking consists of brainstorming, analyzing, and prioritizing. the critical thinker is one who utilizes inductive and deductive forms of cognitive thinking in order to achieve solutions that resolve practical and theoretical problems within scholarship and other aspects of human life.

Jermaine,
Great definition of critical thinking. If we can get these message across to our students then we can help them to develop their critical thinking skills and become skilled at being problem solvers. A skilled problem solver is sought by employers in every setting and students need to understand this.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

critical thinking is that where the questions are more important than the answers

Lisa,
Not sure about your statement. Can you expand on this in terms of what you are thinking? Thanks.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I find with the students currently enrolled in our programs and increasingly more of them want us to just give the answers. If you are not careful you wind up playing into their plan. When I prompt them to look into the information there is the "Google it" mentality. As well as the task avoidance.

Kenneth,
This is my experience as well. It is important to help them see that they must seek the answers which is much easier said than done. If we accomplish this with them the pay off is great and their confidence increases dramatically.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

One of the main reasons I enjoy teaching is what I call "The Light bulb Moment" when you know they understand the material and you see the gears turning and the eyes light up. That is when the confidence built up.

Kenneth,
That is one of my reasons as well. It is a great class when I see the bulbs go on and I know they "got it".
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I Agree. I find it increasingly difficult to get students to understand the importance of being able to ask themselves questions and find the path to answers on their own.

Matthew,
This is my experience as well. So I have provided even more activities to get them working on using their abilities to ask questions, seek answers and find solutions. It takes self discipline and effort but well worth it if the students will follow through in these two developmental areas.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I believe the earlier students a introduced to critical thinking it will pay off as long as they will use it consistently.

Kenneth,
It is a building process so you are right on with your recommendation to introduce critical thinking as soon as you can so the students can build their experiences around their growth as critical thinkers.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment