Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

decoding

This is the only way to teach complicated processes in my opinion. Especially for students new to the field. Each step of the process must be related to a concept they already understand.

Stephen,
Good approach because this is what ladder teaching is about. Each rung on the ladder is a key concept and helps the learner to move to the next rung until the ladder of learning has been climbed.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

When teaching a 3d modeling course it is filled with so much information that it by teaching it separately they tend to forget the first rungs on the ladder, thus I changed my teaching approach to incorporate all aspects of the class each week, giving them a additional information each week to build on a wider ladder

Richard,
Great strategy to use. By analyzing what was and was not working you have come up with a solution that keeps the learning process moving forward while giving students the opportunity to acquire the knowledge that is a part of each rung of the ladder.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

When my students enter my class the first day I tell them that everything builds on itself. But I liked the fact you called it climbing a ladder. That will help visualize the concepts.

Susan,
Glad that you liked this example. I wish you continued success as you help your students climb the rungs of the ladder toward career success.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I agree. I think that some information should be added about encoding. In my opinion, this would help to gain a better grasp.

True before the student can move forward with the education needed to make them successful

Tami,
Good point and one that needs to be remembered when selecting instructional strategies.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I agree with that, decoding is the first step in the learning process. Students must be able to decode the information in order to understand it and recode later.

Decoding is new to me. I have been an instructor for about 10 years. Max knowledge is great. I have learn so many things. This is a example of when I try to help students prepare for an exam they use a different style which is decoding.

Pandora,
I am so pleased that this content has been of value to you. As you gain more knowledge in the area of brain processing you are going to be able to integrate activities into your instructional delivery that will help students to be able to more effectively decode incoming content in a way that will enable them to be able to retrieve it for later use.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment