Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Problem solving conflicts

Problem solving is a concern amongst many of our students. The ability to solve problems with others, personal problems, as well as academic problems, lacks. The majority of the students have concerns related to the initial step. Their ability to articulate the problem, or recognize the core issue, needs development. One of the greatest impediments upon the cultivation process of this initial step is the knowledge pool of limited experience. So many of our students have limited life experiences to draw from which makes critical thinking, communication, and over problem solving difficult.

Anne Alexis,
You make a number of very good points as they relate to problem solving skill development. Problem solving does require a solid knowledge base and skill sets. We need to help our students to understand what the competencies are and how they are relevant to their career development.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I would think this is where the research phase kicks in. If I am limited in my knowledge of the possable solutions then I need to find what others did in a similar situation and see what did and did not work. Then I need to form my own solution to the problem.

The lack of life experiences is a main reason why it is important that we give that opportunity to our students. We need to guide them in how to research for information and to work with others to solve a problem.

I am old enough to remember how to problem solve as a youngster when your ball went over the neighbor's fence. We did not have the luxury of having another ball, therefore, we had to either figure out how to get the ball or come up with another game to play! Provide activities for your students to problem solve using a real life situation in their future career, then, take something away that they might normally use in problem solving.

Ellie,
This is what problem solving should be about. Looking at options, thinking about solutions and then solving the problem. Students need to realize that googling is not problem solving.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I see this so much with students now. They think they can google everything and find the answer. What they don't realize the information found on the internet isn't always true.

Daniel,
Right you are. I see this a lot with my students as well. They need to analyze their sources and be able to sort through the information in a way that will help them come up with a solution that they understand, rather than just jumping on the first item that comes up in their google search.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Google is definitely not a problem solver although many think it is . I often let them research on google and then easily show them that what they have found does not solve there problem.

Dave,
Good way to reduce student dependence on google. By letting them use and test out google and then showing them how it does not solve the problem you have shown them that they need to consider other resources, do some reflective thinking as well as common sense if they are going to be successful problem solvers.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Problem solving has seemed to become something of the past. With Google at everyones fingertips, the "solution" to problems is a few seconds away. Students don't want to think about anything, they prefer the "NOW" answer.

Peter,
I face this almost everyday I teach a class. Instant answers are how problems are solved. In reality we know this is not true but convincing students of this can at times be a real challenge.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

We don't know that we don't know. We all have areas of expertise via our education, on the job training, life experience that most of the time our younger students do not have. We can't judge them harshly for their youth and inexperience. They will get there. I'm still not there! I can change a tire. I can apply for a mortgage and it not stress me out. All these things were major deals at one time in my life. We should teach process of problem solving as the course advocates.

Carlton,
Very good point. Experience has a way of helping us to see the big picture in life. The key with our students is to give them experiences and content that will help them create a method whereby they can successfully walk through problem solving steps and learn how to become critical thinkers.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

independent thinking for young students can be a problem.

Ray,
This has been my experience as well. Have to come up with strategies to help students to learn how to be critical and reflective thinkers.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment