Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Pretest

Pretesting even if it is just asking a handful of questions out loud to the whole class helps me get them directed towards the test at had and sparks good interaction

James,
I use pretesting in all my classes so I can get a baseline understanding about my students. This helps me to select the type of content and instructional delivery I will use to offer effective instruction. Thanks for making these comments about pretesting use.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I agree and I usually do this the first class of each semester. This gives me a good starting point.

pretest is a great way to see where your students are at and to know what you need to do to help them get through your program. i use a pretest when students are coming into are program to test there skills and see what there knowledge is, so i can help them in are program.

Jack,
I use pretests in my courses for the reasons you state. I like having the baseline on my students to I can select my approach and content based upon what I know about them form the pretest.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

It is very useful, I agree. You can tell where your students are and where they need to be.

I use pre-testing in my drawing courses to see where the students as a whole and individual land in the drawing ability.

Richard,
I use pretesting as well in all of my courses so I can get a feel for my students and the experiences they are bringing to the class. With a baseline I can customize my teaching in a way that targets their knowledge base.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I agree. Pretesting helps students to get prepared for future exams to be given in class or for National Boards. In order to help our dental assisting students prepare for the DANB Infection Control Exam, each week during the beginning of class, I give a Pretest consisting of 10 questions pertaining to Infection Control. After the exam, we review the questions and answers. This helps the students in test taking skills (eliminating the wrong answers and why), reducing anxiety, and reinforcing concepts in infection control as they are preparing for PART I of their Dental Assisting National Boards (DANB).

Fernanda,
I think this is a great strategy to use. I use pretesting in all of my classes so I can get a feel for the knowledge base my students are bringing into my courses as well as help them to get settled into the course. Your method helps them to see what they are going to face when they take their own boards in the future.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I used to give a pre-test years ago but moved away from it when content was added to my class and I couldn't afford the time. But after this lesson and being reminded of some of the benefits I think I would like to squeeze a brief pre-test back in to my class.

Eric,
As you know you do get great insight from using pretesting so it is a valuable tool to have available. I hope you will be able to put it back into your course without the loss of too much time and content.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I think that my students would like this as a study technique before exams. It would serve a greater purpose than a written study guide in terms of retaining information.

Shannon,
I think this is a good idea. Give it a try and see how it works for you and your students. This is one of the fun parts of being an instructor. You get to try new things and be creative. This is one of them.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I have habit to to give pretest on the first day of class to check , what students are brining into class. But i am also giving pretest in the begoining of the class before teaching new material too.

Chhayaben,
I use pretesting for all of my classes as well. I like the information I get in terms of what my students know and what the areas that they do not know about. Helps me with my instructional planning.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Creating a pretest helps me to understand the overall class understand of the course material. (Basically, in what level of understanding are they at.) However, I found out that at the end of the course the pretest is given again, so that the students can feel that they gain more knowledge. This gives the student a satisfaction of accomplishment.

I find this to be very effective and their grades are better

Pretesting is a good idea for determining where they are at, and to give them an idea of what to expect. My only concern is the emotional hit it can create if they do not do well. Even if you explain that this is a pretest, some students have a hard time getting over any failure.

Trinity,
This is a good point and to overcome this fear I give them the pretest. Then we discuss the questions and responses as a class. Then I have them hand in the tests without their names on them and this really reduces their anxiety since they know I am trying to get a baseline on them and not using against them in anyway.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment