Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

repeating

constantly going over material and how it relates to the students future

John,
This is so important. They need to see why they are being taught what they are and how what they are learning will help them to be more successful and earn an income that contributes to the lifestyle they can enjoy.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Repeating the content has proven to be a successful part instruction in my classroom. Adding a review of material a various phases of the course helps the students to grasp the concepts.

Introducing the lesson, reviewing the content, applying the new knowledge to a project, and then critiquing the final project is a good four step method of repeating the material without seeming too repetitive.

I believe that repeating subject matters several times makes the student unconsciously realize that these things are important and it can be used in the future. It is a way of connecting the different information that were learned earlier.

Maria Estela,
Repetition is a powerful teaching tool. It takes several times of going over content for students to be able to file it in their memory bank. When students do get it filed about then they get very excited about the fact that they have acquired new knowledge and are able to share it with others. This helps greatly with their motivation.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

As stated, repeating something, be it a task, or written word, helps the learner to retain subject matter. The best way, in my opinion, is to vary that repetition in a few different ways so the learner is seeing/hearing something a little different each time. If it is the same each time, they become bored and disconnected...

QUINTIN,
Repetition is a powerful learning tool and as you have mentioned it needs to be a part of the teaching process. The more variety that is used to provide repetition the higher the retention there will be. This can be the creative part of teaching as you seek to develop these alternative ways.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Repetition is a key component in learning. Each skill builds upon the next. If the basic skills are not there the student will become easily discouraged. I start from the ground up, with a review of accounting basics. The managerial accounting course I teach in five weeks is designed for beginners but the book starts off with a preconceived notion of knowledge that is not there for most students. I have to take the very first class in each course and lay the groundwork before I can actually dive into the book. Even then I have to gauge it down. The book content is far too detailed for the level of student and the expected outcomes.

Lisa,
Your analyses of how to customize your instructional delivery and content to your students is so valuable. The results I know are increased learning and higher student engagement because you are helping them be successful and not to get over whelmed the first day.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I was once ask by a student why I repeated myself and if I thought the students were slow. I told him it was a habit I had and told him I didn't think they were slow, it was because we miss certain things that are said for what ever reason just then a student asked me about the subject I had repeated serveral time, he looked at me and said ok I understand.

Tony,
Good example of how to share information about your instructional approach. This way the student understood and it increase the value of this approach in his mind.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I have found that it takes 5 repetitions of a fact or skill befroe the students get that fact or skill. Why it takes 5 times I don't know but it does. I ask them why they didn't get it times number 1,2,3,or 4 and I get no answer.

Michael,
Repetition is a powerful teaching/learning tool because you are right it takes repetition to get the critical information and skills stored in the brains of the students. If this does not happen when they are in the field and go into their memory bank for this information there will be a great big blank space where it should have been stored.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

interesting you have the 5 times and it is a charm or rather it sticks we often have 5 times of practice before they perform a practical application of something as a proof of competency. In the theory classroom I introduce a topic with a overview, then lecture and finish with a review it seems to work as enough repetition to create a memory.

Constantly Repeating yourself Helps the students to learn.

I am a firm believer in repetition,As I always tell my students that practice/repetition is the way to understanding the material.Practice does produce results.

Sign In to comment