Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It is enlightening to understand that there are laws to provide equal access to those who suffer with disabilities.

Several items were learned thus far. I now have a better understanding of 504 and the Americans with Disabilities Act. Further, what constitutes an accommodation, who is responsible for requesting one, and what higher educational institutions have to have in place when it comes to policy and procedure. 

Accommodations give no advantage, but are to level the playing field.

Access to opportunities must be created for all students - but what do you do when a student has a behavioral disability? I once had a student who could not sit still and would speak up every 5 mins and had a nervous tic. and jerky movements.

The modification I made was to teach him the acronym WAIT - Why Am I Talking? and ask him to write his questions or comments down, and we would spend 5 mins after class going over what was written rather than have him talking (or yelling) out every five mins.

While some disabilities are "seen", there are several that are not.  Institutions must give reasonable accommodations to all students with documented disabilities.

The institution has flexibility in giving accomodations as long as the goal of equal access to educational opportunities is achieved. Students are responsible for providing documentation and informing the school of their need for accomodations due to disability.

Equal Access to educational opportunities is a legal right for students with impairments. They are only entitled to a reasonable accommodation. Any breakage of this including any cheating during any accommodated tests would deny them equal access.

Accommodations is student driven, there are laws to provide/protect accommodations. We all have a responsibility to understand what are and is not reasonable accommodations.

I found it interesting that, even though the law allows it, no institution has ever been permitted to deny a reasonable accommodation based solely on undue financial burden.  

This course has exposed me to the nuances of ADA approval with regard to exclusions. Each student situation is different, so it's important to learn how to quickly discern what may disqualify a student.

I have learned that animals that only provide comfort or emotional support to their owners are classified as Emotional Support Animals, NOT Service Animals. 

I learned the criteria of accommodation for common people with disabilities is only required if the accommodation will impact the way in which the instruction is given or not doing so will limit the idividual's ability to comprehend the material. For example, a blind person in a lecture will not necessarily need accommodations during the instruction lecture, however access to the facility should be accommodated.

I have learned about Section 504 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, along with how these civil rights statutes relate to students in public and private institutions. Institutions may not discriminate on the basis of disability at any time. These laws determine that students with disabilities must have case-by-case consideration for accommodations so they have equal access to available opportunities while in higher education settings (the whole way through graduation. 

I have learned that legal accommodation must be provided to individuals with a disability versus a behavioral contact for individuals requiring emotional support for heightened test/social anxiety. 

I learned that accommodations are always protected under law however the person is not. The individual is not specifically stated in the law but the things that allow the student to be successful, within reason, is. 

It is important to implement accommodation for people with disability. They need the extra time and accommodation based on their disability. 

I learned what constitutes a disability. I also learned what defines a service dog. I will use this information as the ADA officer at my campus to assist with students who have disabilities.

I have learned what is and not considered a disability. Every student should be supported in their own unique way and if there is a disability then they will submit their paperwork to the ADA director

This has been a fascinating course thus far.  As a culinary school we face a lot of unique challenges in accommodating students in a reasonable way.  I am always interested in finding the balance between protecting the student and protecting the school.

I have learned the basic meanings and uses for the ADA and 504. I have also learned some examples of reasonable accommodations and when they do or do not apply.

Sign In to comment