Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

In addition to not discriminating against disabled persons, you also cannot discriminate against persons you believe to be disabled. 

Those with disabilities are protected from discrimination and have "Equal Opportunities". I learned that in 1990 ADA was in effect as one of the important Civil Rights Law.

This has been a reminder that not all disabilities are visible from the outside, but that does not make them any less of a disability that can impact ADLs significantly. I am glad that there are ADA officers who can assist with compliance issues and helping to make sure that all students have an opportunity to equal access to education. 

I have learned that the ultimate goal of accommodations is to ensure equal access rather than equal treatment. When working with folx with disabilities, I hope to encourage equity rather than equality. This means that not all folx with disabilities will need the same accommodations, and that these accommodations should strive to present each individual with equal access to education. 

I will need to follow up with my supervisor to find out at what point in the enrollment process (if the student alerts us accordingly) that I would be informed of a student disability. 

I am very glad these laws were put into place because everyone deserves an opportunity to progress in their career and education!

One of the take aways from this is, that all educational institutions of higher learning that are receiving federal grants must comply with requirements to accomodate students with disabilities.

Emotional support animals are not service animals.

How informative! Though I learned much, I was most surprised by how complex this process is in higher education. In order to adequately weigh all complexities and gray areas, I look forward to examining each request on a case-by-case basis and will be sure to dedicate careful consideration to each request. 

It's important for educational institutions and educators to be familiar with these laws and regulations to create an inclusive and accessible learning environment for students with disabilities. Compliance not only ensures legal obligations are met but also contributes to a more equitable and supportive educational experience for all students.

In this section, I learned the generalities of what constitutes a service animal and an emotional support animal. We also discussed when reasonable accommodations can be made, and in what circumstances they can be removed. For example, a student given extra accommodations for a test caught cheating cannot have their accommodations stripped away.

I have learned the difference between a disability and an accommodation.

Opportunity must not be denied because of disability. I love this country because even if not true, legally they do make a process for equal access to opportunity.

This course provides a great summation of policies and procedures related to students with disabilities. However, the course uses the outdated term "aspergers" in several instances. Aspergers was dropped by the American Association of Psychiatrists and the new DSM-V places this disorder under the umbrella of "Autism Spectrum Disorder" (ASD).

It is very interesting about other students with no disability. We must not provide a situation where is can harm someone without a disability. 

I spent much of my middle and high school years helping tutor students with disabilities, and this taught me that all students can succeed and should be offered a chance to, even if they are differently abled from you or I. 

What qualifies as a disability and what the reasonable accommodations that should be provided.  

There are differences between Higher Education and K-12.  It is important to remember, even with accommodations, students are still responsible for their actions.

All public and private institutions are obligated to provide accommodations to students with disabilities in higher education. However, it is a two-fold responsibility: the student must provide the necessary information to the appropriate office in a timely manner, and the institution must provide the required accommodations.

Application: Providing accommodations can be pretty complex. Therefore, each student circumstance must be given a case-by-case consideration. Additionally, although disabled students cannot "abuse" their rights, they should be held accountable for violations without any bias as nondisabled students.

Comment on Sundeep Bhatia's post: This is so true. So often, we underplay the importance of documentation. 

Comment on Rosemarie Carneiro's post: Comment on Rosemarie Carneiro's post: Your point of being at an advantage resonates with me....In the end, access to accommodations for students with disabilities simply levels the playing field. It is a serious misperception among nondisabled students. This is where education comes in.

Sign In to comment