Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Comment on Alejandro Torres's post: I am so happy that our society is embracing invisible difficulties, which can probably be equally or even more challenging than physical disabilities. In the end, every disabled student matters, and providing reasonable accommodation is necessary.

ADA isn't just limited to wheelchair accessibility only.

We are in the process of reviewing our accommodation process. I feel that providing training to our staff and faculty is critical. Also, meeting regularly as a team to continue the conversation has been helpful. I have found that there is more interest in doing this right among staff and faculty than I had expected and this helps me feel confident that together we can be an accommodating school.

I have learnt a lot with these few slides. Students must be accommodated as long as they have a disability. If the college has any federal funding it must comply with the ADA laws. Student has to request accommodations from the school or colleges

I have learned that the term disability should not be used loosely. Some students who truly do have a mental or physical limitations should never fall into the same category as students with language barriers. Just because your first language is not the one your course is being taught in does not mean you are disabled, and the student should not be labeled as such. It just means you need help finding language resources to help with your understanding of the materials being taught.

It is about equity not equality. Giving people with seen and unseen disabilities the opportunity to perform on an equitable field. However, outside of the k-12 education system, people with disabilities must advocate for themselves. This can be overwhelming as most have never had to do that. It will also be difficult for those coming from the k-12 system that were not held to the same standards of behavior or excellence from some institutions. (Wrong, I know, but it happens.) As instructors and staff of higher education institutions we must help them navigate the system to ensure their equity. in academics. It does not free them from consequences or the rewards. 

This has been clarifying in what disability is and how it looks today.   We know that a "cat" is not a support animal.   Also you may not know someone has a disablity by just looking at them   Attention Deficit Disorder is considered a disability.   This has been enjoyable and informative of what is considered a disability today

It was important to learn that according to law the institution does not guarantee an accommodation, but provides reasonable adjustments

I have learned that an accommodation is used to help a student in the learning process. It is important to include students who require accommodations in their learning environment. All students have an equal opportunity to succeed, but they are also responsible for their own success. 

Institutions must provide accommodations for students with disabilities in order for them to achieve the same quality of education as students without a disability.

There is a difference between making accommodations for students with a documented disability and those who just request "special treatment".

I now better understand and can differentiate between animals that provide a needed service and animals that provide emotional support.

Sign In to comment