Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Everyone deserves a chance period. If accomodations are needed for a disability they need to be fairly provided.

Medical Accomdations are so needed and should be respected also is very important in reviewing this policies are very important.

I have learned the differences in disabilities, and the accomodations that should be offered in this module. 

This module defined the 504 Act vs. ADA with both of these falling under civil rights protection acts. I found that the information about the three different definitions associated with a disability was helpful: those that have a disability, thoe who have a history/record of a disability, and those who are perceived as having a disability. I think that the key takeaway is that the inent of these acts is to help to ensure that all students receive an equal opportunity; however, it should not be assumed that students are automatically entitled to receiving an accommodation according to what is considered as a, "reasonable accommodation," vs, "non-reasonable."

I learned the two federal laws relating to people with disabilities. I was happy to see that it was explained that disabilities can include hidden disabilities, such as ADHD and emotional disorders. Also, accommodations do equalize the access to success.

I have a background in Special Education. A lot of this information was review which I am greatful for having the opportunity to review. The most information I have learned is the difference between K-12 and Higher education. Some of the rules policies and procedures apply to both areas however there are a few things that are different. Being an educator who has experienced both sides, this was very informative information.

Understanding the definition of, and accommodations for disabilities continues to evolve. It is our duty as Higher Ed administrators to keep abreast of these developments and ensure that our faculty, staff and institutions are upholding the law and effectively supporting students who are covered under this legislation.

All individuals regardless of race, ethinicity or disability should have an equal opportunity to attend college and to do so in an environment that is judgement free and accommodating as needed. It is crucial to adhere to regulations and policies surrounding students with disabilities or are in need of accommodations. 

Students with disabilities should be given equal and fair treatment. Laws were designed to govern these actions, but as educators and professionals, we should be cognizant and behavior with moral integrity toward them regardless of laws. 

Providing accommodations levels the playing field for those students with disabilities. That is the goal, not to give any student an advantage. With the changing times, especially in technology and the way courses are delivered, it is the responsibility of the college to provide necessary accommodations. 

All students must be given equal opportunity to the educational programs and activites provided by an insitution. There is a three-pronged deifnition of who falls under the protection of the ADA. 

I learned that all educational institutions are required to provide reasonable access to accommodations for someone with a disability in a timely manner. However, it is the disabled person(s) responsibility to provide the necessary documentation/information to the proper contacts at that institution, so the institution has reasonable time to evaluate the request for accommodation and meet the needs for equal access.  

I love how we have laws so everyone can have equal access to learning.  I will work hard to ensure that everone who comes through our program feels and have what they need to be successful

I have learned students must request the accommodations before they are allowed and the student must do this in the proper channels.

Disability covers a wide umbrella of conditions.  Usually people think about physical disabilities when the term "disabled" is brought up because that is clearly visible.  However, the mental conditions that affect individuals' performance has raised a new awareness and as educators we need to be cognizant of this.  ADA provides accomodation for the individual to have an equal playing field as non-disable individuals.  For example, if a student has a learning disability or ADHD then extension of time with limited distraction can be approved.  However, it does not guarantee a certain grade for the disabled individual.  

I appreciated the breakdown in detail regarding the rights of students with disabilities and what they are entitled to and not entitled to based on 504 and ADA. The breakdown of institutional responisibilities was also very helpful.

Gloria Vance

I've learned that Federal Laws does not promise accommodation to students with disabilities, It simply promise protection from discrimination on the basis of disability. Everyone has the right to Equal Opportunity. 

I have learned there are so many variations of the disablities and some of the hardest to address are the behavioral ones- especiallay when you don't neceasarily see the disability physically. There are so many layers to address and reading through these articles helps to create a starting place of peeling back some of these layers and have some understanding of the every day difficulties faced by many students.

I discovered that there are some nuances as applied to each case. If there is a need then there should be an accommodation; if there is no need, then the school is not obliged to provide accommodation. This is a reall big piece for me. Also, learning about unreasonable accommodation was a huge ey opener. Sometimes, the insitution might not have the budget to implement certain accommodations for her students with disabilities; the government is realized this.

The nunaces make us realize that students living with disbility want to be able to do their own due diligence and be responsible for themselves. They make it not because they were allowed to but because they were givien an opportunity to work for it.

Reasonable acomidations and unreasonable acomadations are clealy identifiyed 

Sign In to comment