Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The rehab act of 1973 was implemented in 1977. 504 and ADA are civil rights statutes

Important statement was that the federal law does not promise accomodations to students with disabilities but it simply promises protection

from discrimination on the basis of disability.

Accomodating students with disabilities is required, there fore I will pay more strict attention to those who will require it so they can get the best learning experience and a fair treatment. 

I have learned that many people are not well versed on this topic which needs attention.  Some people perceive accommodations as an "advantage" when it is not - it is a means of "leveling out the playing field".  I learned that accommodations may not look the same, even if a student has the same disability - it is a customized plan for each student with the same learning objectives.  In addition, I also feel like understanding what a "reasonable accommodation" entails is equally important which will be covered in more detail throughout the training - looking forward to learning more about that. 

I learned more in depth about reasonable accommodations in combination with The American Disabilities ACT. I also learned about the responsibility of the student, and the importance for the institution to ensure that all students have access to their educational needs. 

I have learned about laws 504 and ADA that provide protection for indivuals who have disabilities and different types of disabilities under those laws. Our responibilities as an Institute to ensure equal opportunity to those students with disabilities. 

Documentation is critical. 

By providing the neccessary accomadtions that a student needs and giving them the support as well. 

I have learned a new accomodations for Asperger syndrome, behavior contracts.

this hits home when you have a family member with a disability

I have learned who can receive accomodations, reasonable accomadations and what laws protect students with disabilities. It is important not to think that a student with accomodations is at an advantage amongst peers without a learning disability. I'm happy these laws are in place and plan support any of my students who made need reasonable accomodations wihtin the classroom. 

I have learned students with disabilitieshave one right under federal law.

Theu have the right to equal access to educational opportunities

I have learned that as instructors/educational institutions we must not discriminate those with disabilities. We must do what we can to reasonably accomidate these students. 

I learned that accommodations are a floor but not a ceiling for those with disabilities. Therefore making it fair for those who have physical or mental limitations in education.

I've learned how accomidations can be made for disabilities.  I found the difference between a "service animal" and an "emotional support animal" interesting.

I though the reading was clear and concise; Federal law assures equal access for people with disability by protecting the person (not the disability) from discrimination. I liked the clarification on whether emotional support animals are considered service animals-they are not. I GREATLY appreciated the subject matter acknowledging and teaching about unique challenges such as with Asperger’s syndrome and how equal access is achieved when students have the same opportunities as their nondisabled peers, the emphasis is to focus on this end goal even if the the “means” to get there is different-this really struck me as a mentor and I’ll definitely use this in my advising scope.

Giving equal access for people with disabilities and protecting the person with diability.

I have learned how different students have disabilities that may have not been thought of to me previously as a disability which may have made someone feel excluded previously. I learned how to be inclusive and supportive of those needs as well.

The spirit of the law is the letter of the law. Understanding a specific request and student situation is vital in making a decision about a current accommodation. Each student will be different and an answer which was acceptable for one person, may not be for another.

Accomodation of disabled students is the law

Sign In to comment